- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- CD154, TNF-related activator protein (TRAP), GP39, TNFSF5
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
CD40L is a type II membrane protein that shares 78% amino acid identity with its mouse counterpart. Human CD40L is a polypeptide of 261 amino acids, consisting of 22, 24, and 215 amino acids for the cytoplasmic, transmembrane, and extracellular domains respectively. Soluble forms of CD40L (sCD40L) have been identified, and a 18 kD fragment has the ability to form homotrimers and bind to CD40 to induce biological signals. The 18 kD protein has full activity in B cell proliferation and differentiation assays. Activated platelets express CD40L on their surface and constitute the major source of sCD40L (>95% in blood). Platelet-derived CD40L regulates neutrophil recruitment and lung damage in sepsis, and it has been suggested that MMP-9 regulates CD40L shedding in abdominal sepsis. Platelet-associated CD40L has been linked to progression of atherosclerotic disease, and elevated plasma levels of sCD40L in patients seems to be a reliable predictor of cardiovascular events, such as atherosclerotic plaque rupture and acute coronary syndromes. Also, platelet-associated CD40L expression is increased in idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura patients, and it has been speculated that platelet-associated CD40L drives the activation of autoreactive B lymphocytes in this disease. In addition, high plasma levels of sCD40L have been connected to HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders (HAND).Product Details
- Human CD40L, amino acids Gln114-Leu261 (Accession# NM_000074.2), was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 149 amino acid N-terminal methionylated recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 16.3 kD. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Met.
- >98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE and HPLC analysis.
- Lyophilized, carrier-free.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 ng per µg of protein.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute in water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. Do not vortex. It is recommended to further dilute in a buffer, such as 5% Trehalose, and store working aliquots at -20°C to -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 = 5-10 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of 1-2 x 105 units/mg, as determined by the dose-dependent stimulation of IL-8 production by human PBMCs. Results may vary with PBMC donors.
T cells, basophils, mast cells, activated platelets.
- CD40L induces proliferation, differentiation, and immunoglobulin class switching in B cells; also prevents apoptosis in B cells. CD40L is induced in T cells after in vitro activation with PHA, PMA plus ionomycin, anti-CD3, anti-CD2, and anti-CD28 stimulation. Also, CD40L is induced by thrombin in platelets.
- B cells, neutrophils, follicular dendritic cells, dendritic cells, macrophages, epithelial cells, epithelial carcinoma cells, endothelial cells, smooth muscle cells, fibroblasts, hepatic stellate cells, and glomerular mesangial cells.
- Stimulation of IL-8 production.
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Costimulatory Molecules
- Molecular Family
- Cytokines/Chemokines, Growth Factors, Immune Checkpoint Receptors
- Antigen References
1. Spriggs MK, et al. 1992. J. Exp. Med. 176:1543.
2. Mazzei GJ, et al. 1995. J. Biol. Chem. 270:7025.
3. Delmas Y, et al. 2005. Med. Sci. (Paris) 21:825.
4. Meabed MH, et al. 2007. Haematology 12:301.
5. Sprangue DL, et al. 2008. Blood 111:5028.
6. Davidson DC, et al. 2012. PLoS One 7:e51793.
7. Rahman M, et al. 2013. J. Thromb. Haemost. 11:1385
- Gene ID
- 959 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about CD40L on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)