- Poly5177 (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Interleukin-6 (IL-6), Interferon beta 2 (IFNB2), BSF2, HGF, HSF
- Goat Polyclonal IgG
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
Interleukin 6 (IL-6) is a prototypic member of the IL-6 superfamily of cytokines. IL-6 is secreted by a variety of lymphoid and non-lymphoid cells including T cells, B cells, monocytes, fibroblasts, hepatocytes, endothelial cells, keratinocytes, etc. Mature Rat IL-6 is a 187 aa residue protein. At the protein sequence level, there is approximately 39% identity between rat and human IL-6, and 87% identity between mouse and rat IL-6. The production of IL-6 can be induced by numerous signals such as mitogenic or antigenic stimulation, lipopolysaccharides, calcium ionophores, cytokines, and viruses.
IL-6 induces signaling through a cell surface heterodimeric receptor complex composed of a ligand binding subunit (IL-6 R) and a subunit (gp130) that acts as the universal signal-transducing element for all IL-6 family cytokines. IL-6 activity is essential for the transition from acute inflammation to either acquired immunity or chronic inflammatory disease. One of the most important mechanism is that IL-6 is a key factor that reciprocally regulates Th17 and Foxp3+ Treg differentiation by inhibition of TGF-β induced Foxp3 and induction of RORγt, a Th17 lineage-specific transcription factor.
Elevated serum IL-6 levels have been observed in a number of pathological conditions, including bacterial and viral infections, trauma, autoimmune diseases, inflammations and malignancies.
- Verified Reactivity
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Phosphate-buffered solution, pH 7.2, containing 0.09% sodium azide.
- The antibody was purified by affinity chromatography.
- 0.5 mg/ml
- Storage & Handling
- The antibody solution should be stored undiluted between 2°C and 8°C.
ELISA Capture - Quality tested
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by ELISA assay. For sandwich ELISA capture applications, a concentration range of 1-2 μg/ml is recommended when used in conjunction with the biotinylated Poly5177 antibody (Cat. No. 517703) as the detecting antibody. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
- Application Notes
Poly5177 is 4.1% cross-reactive with mouse IL-6 as measured by ELISA.
AB_2561337 (BioLegend Cat. No. 517701)
- 187 amino acids (aa) in length, and 39% and 87% aa sequence identity with human and mouse IL-6, respectively.
- Secreted by a variety of lymphoid and non-lymphoid cells including T cells, B cells, monocytes, fibroblasts, hepatocytes, endothelial cells, keratinocytes and muscle cells, etc.
- A pleiotropic cytokine that plays important roles in innate and adaptive immunity. Also important for hematopoiesis, bone metabolism, and cancer progression.
- IL-6 receptor
- Cell Type
- B cells, Dendritic cells
- Biology Area
- Angiogenesis, Cell Biology, Immunology, Innate Immunity
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
1. Heinrich PC, et al. 1990. Biochem. J. 265:621.
2. Hibi M, et al. 1996. J. Mol. Med. 74:1.
3. Hirano T, et al. 1994. Stem Cells 12:262.
4. Taga T and Kishimoto T. et al. 1997. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 15:797.
5. Van Snick J. 1990. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 8:253.
- Expression can be induced by numerous signals such as mitogenic or antigenic stimulation, lipopolysaccharides, calcium ionophores, cytokines, and viruses.
- Gene ID
- 24498 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about IL-6 on UniProt.org
Related Pages & Pathways
Other FormatsView All IL-6 Reagents Request Custom Conjugation
|Purified anti-rat IL-6||Poly5177||ELISA Capture|
|Biotin anti-rat IL-6||Poly5177||ELISA Detection|
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.