- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Vascular endothelial growth factor B, VRF, VEGF-B, VEGF-B167
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
Vascular endothelial growth factor B (VEGF-B) is a member of the VEGF family of growth factors that are important regulators of angiogenesis, vasculogenesis, and lymphangiogenesis. VEGF-B is a disulfide-linked dimeric protein that exists as two isoforms, VEGF-B167 and VEGF-B186, by alternate splicing. VEGF-B167 binds strongly to heparan sulfate in the pericellular matrix due to a highly basic cysteine-rich heparin binding carboxy terminus, whereas VEGF-B186 is a secreted soluble form. Both isoforms are expressed in most tissues concomitantly and bind to VEGF-R1 as well as to NRP-1, but they do not bind VEGF-R2 and VEGF-R3. VEGF-B deficient mice are viable without any phenotype indicating that VEGF-B is redundant in angiogenesis in developing embryos and healthy adults. The ability of VEGF-B to induce angiogenesis in most tissues is weak and maybe restricted to the ischemic heart. VEGF-B has been detected in a wide range of tumours, but its’ role in tumour growth remains controversial. VEGF-B is also expressed in the central nervous system and may have a role in neuroprotection. VEGF-B deficient mice showed impaired recovery from cerebral ischemic injury and administration of VEGF-B stimulated neurogenesis in adult mice.Product Details
- Human VEGF-B167, amino acids Pro22-Arg188 (Accession # P49765) was expressed in E.coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 167 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 19 kD. The DTT-reduced protein migrates at approximately 24 kD and non-reduced protein migrate at approximately 48 kD by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Pro.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in 35% Acetonitrile, 0.1% TFA
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- When human VEGF-B167 is immobilized at 0.5 µg/mL, human Neuropilin-1 (Cat. No. 768002) binds with an EC50 of 0.1 – 0.4 µg/mL in a functional ELISA.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Expressed in most tissues including CNS
- Angiogenesis, neurogenesis
- Endothelial cells, CNS neurons
- VEGF-R1, NRP-1 (CD304)
- Measured by its ability to bind human NRP-1
- Cell Type
- Endothelial cells, Neural Stem Cells, Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Embryonic Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Angiogenesis, Cardiovascular Biology, Neuroscience, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Growth Factors, Neurotrophic Factors
- Antigen References
- Olofsson B, et al. 1996. J Biol Chem. 271:19310.
- Olofsson B, et al. 1998. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 95:11709.
- Aase K, et al. 1999. Dev. Dyn. 215:12-25.
- Bellomo D, et al. 2000. Circ Res. 86:E29.
- Niki T, et al. 2000. Clin Cancer Res. 6:2431.
- Makinen T, et al. 1999. J Biol Chem. 274:21217.
- Gunningham S, et al. 2001. Cancer Res. 61:3206.
- Sun Y, et al. 2004. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 24:1146.
- Li X, et al. 2008. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 28:1614.
- Fischer C, et al. 2008. Nat Rev Cancer. 8:942.
- Gene ID
- 7423 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about VEGF-B167 on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)