- Other Names
- Nerve Growth Factor Receptor, NGF Receptor, TNFRSF16, CD271, CD271 Antigen, Low Affinity Neurotrophin Receptor P75NTR, P75NTR
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
Mouse nerve growth factor receptor (NGFR) is a type 1 transmembrane glycophosphoprotein of approximately 75 kD. It belongs to the low affinity neurotrophin receptor and tumor necrosis factor receptor superfamily. NGFR possesses an extracellular domain containing four 40 amino acid repeats with six cysteine residues at conserved positions, followed by a serine/threonine rich domain, a transmembrane, and an intracellular domain with 155 amino acids without kinase activity. Disruption of the cysteine-rich repeats leads to loss of ligand binding. NGFR induces different effects depending on its interaction with other proteins. Its interaction with sortilin induces apoptotic responses, while its interaction with Lingo-1 and Nogo-A participates in the myelin-dependent inhibition of axonal growth. Interaction with the neurotrophin tyrosine kinase receptors (Trks) promotes survival, axonal growth, and differentiation of neural cells. NGFR interaction with TrkA induces neural cell death, neurite growth, neuronal differentiation, and synaptic plasticity. The presence of NGFR/CD271 defines a subset of multipotential mesenchymal stromal cells derived from bone marrow. NGFR is identified as a marker of tumor initiating cells in human melanoma, esophageal carcinoma, hypopharyngeal carcinoma, and head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. In addition, NGFR has been associated with glioblastoma cell migration and invasion.Product Details
- Mouse NGFR, amino acid Gly20-Asn243 (Accession # Q9Z0W1), with mIgG-Fc tag in the carboxi terminus, was expressed in CHO cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 464 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 50.9 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrates at approximately 75 kD and 140 kD by SDS-PAGE, respectively. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Gly.
- > 95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution in PBS
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Recombinant mouse NGFR-Fc Chimera inhibits the proliferation of TF-1 human erythroleukemia cells induced by recombinant mouse β-NGF (Cat. No. 784002). The ED50 for this effect is 0.05 - 0.25 ng/mL.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
Neurons, Schwann cells, mesenchymal stem and stromal cells, dermal stem cells, follicular dendritic cells, and melanocytes.
- In the nervous system, NGFR induces survival, differentiation, and migration of neuronal cells. ProNGF binds and activates NGFR resulting in cell death of endothelial cells. Epidermal CD271+ stem cells play an important role in wound healing.
- Neurons and endothelial cells
- NGF, proNGF, BDNF, proBDNF, NTF3, and NTF4
- Mouse NGFR inhibits the proliferation of TF-1 human erythroleukemia cells induced by β-NGF.
- Cell Type
- Mesenchymal cells, Neural Stem Cells, Neurons
- Biology Area
- Cancer Biomarkers, Cell Biology, Cell Death, Cell Proliferation and Viability, Immunology, Neurodegeneration, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Cell Markers, Stem Cells, Synaptic Biology
- Molecular Family
- CD Molecules, Growth Factors
- Antigen References
- Johnson D, et al. 1986. Cell. 47:545.
- Bibel M and Barde YA. 2000. Genes Dev. 14:2919.
- Barker PA. 2004. Neuron. 4:529.
- Iwata Y, et al. 2013. J Dermatol Sci. 71:122.
- Negrini S, et al. 2013. Biol. Open. 2:855.
- Murillo-Sauca O, et al. 2014. Oncotarget 5:6854.
- Fahnestock M and Shekari A. 2019. Front Neurosci. 13:129.
- Speidell A, et al. 2019. Front Cell Neurosci. 13:398.
- Gene ID
- 18053 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about NGFR on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.