- Rat-401 (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Nestin, NES
- Mouse IgG1, κ
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
|655107||25 µg||159 CHF|
|655108||100 µg||358 CHF|
Nestin was originally identified as a neuronal stem cell marker during central nervous system (CNS) development. It belongs to an intermediate filament protein family, and it is the most widely used marker for identifying neuronal stem cells. Nestin is required for survival, renewal, and mitogen-stimulated proliferation of neural progenitor cells. However, the exact function of nestin is not very clear. Nestin is involved in structural organization of the cells through assembling into heterodimers with vimentin or α-internexin in a phosphorylation-dependent process to form intermediate filaments. The expression of nestin is downregulated and replaced by expression of the neurofilament proteins upon neural differentiation/maturation.
Expression of nestin has also been reported in non-neuronal immature or progenitor cells such as pancreatic islet progenitor cells, angiogenic endothelial cells, glioma cells, and bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells. Recent studies also showed that nestin expression can be detected in repair processes in the CNS and in various tumor cells. Thus, it has been used as a cancer stem cell marker. The usage of nestin as a novel prognostic indicator and possible target for tumor anigogenesis has been also proposed.
- Verified Reactivity
- Mouse, Rat
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Homogenized Sprague-Dawley rat spinal cord.
- Phosphate-buffered solution, pH 7.2, containing 0.09% sodium azide.
- The antibody was purified by affinity chromatography and conjugated with Alexa Fluor® 647 under optimal conditions.
- 0.5 mg/ml
- Storage & Handling
- The antibody solution should be stored undiluted between 2°C and 8°C, and protected from prolonged exposure to light. Do not freeze.
IHC-P - Quality tested
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded immunohistochemical staining. For immunohistochemistry, a concentration range of 5.0 - 10 µg/ml is suggested. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
Tissue specificity of this Alexa Fluor® 647 anti-Nestin antibody was validated in embryonic day 15 mouse brain tissue.
* Alexa Fluor® 647 has a maximum emission of 668 nm when it is excited at 633 nm / 635 nm.
Alexa Fluor® and Pacific Blue™ are trademarks of Life Technologies Corporation.
View full statement regarding label licenses
- Excitation Laser
Red Laser (633 nm)
- Application Notes
The reactivity of Alexa Fluor® 647 anti-Nestin antibody was verified in FFPE embryonic mouse tissue.
Additional reported applications (for the relevant formats) include: immunofluorescence, immunohistochemistry, and immunoprecipitation1-4.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Hockfield S, et al. 1985. J. Neurosci. 5:3310. (IP)
- Friedman B, et al. 1990. J. Comp. Neurol. 295:43. (IP)
- Brook GA, et al. 1994. Exp. Neurol. 126:31. (IP)
- Lendahl U, et al. 1990. Cell 60:585. (IP)
- Product Citations
AB_2728489 (BioLegend Cat. No. 655107)
AB_2728490 (BioLegend Cat. No. 655108)
- Mouse nestin is 1864 amino acids with a predicted molecular weight of 207 kD. The observed molecular weight is larger than 250 kD.
- Nestin gene encodes a member of the intermediate filament, and it is required for survival and renewal of neural progenitor cells.
- Cell Type
- Neural Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Cell Motility/Cytoskeleton/Structure, Immunology, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Cell Markers, Stem Cells
- Antigen References
1. Lendahl U, et al. 1990. Cell 60:585.
2. Gilyarov AV, et al. 2008. Neurosci. Behav. Physiol. 38:165.
3. Méndez-Ferrer S, et al. 2010. Nature 466:829.
4. Matsuda Y, et al. 2013. World J. Gastroenterol. 19:42.
- Gene ID
- 10763 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Nestin on UniProt.org
|Alexa Fluor® 594 anti-Nestin||Rat-401||IHC-P|
|Alexa Fluor® 647 anti-Nestin||Rat-401||IHC-P|
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.