- Other Names
- Receptor activator of NF-KB, Tumor necrosis factor receptor superfamily member 11A (TNFRSF11A), Osteoclast differentiation factor receptor (ODFR), TNF-related activation-induced cytokine receptor (TRANCER), Osteosarcoma tumor supresor (OTS), CD265
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
RANK was initially cloned from dendritic cells. It is a type I membrane 66 kD protein that is expressed in monocytes, macrophages, dendritic cells, osteoclast precursors, and among other cells. RANK and its ligand (RANKL) play a key role in bone homeostasis, organogenesis, immune tolerance, and cancer. RANK and RANKL are members of the TNF family and are respectively designated as TNFRSF11A and TNFSF11. RANK, as well as other TNF receptor members, lacks intrinsic enzymatic activity. Its signal transduction is carried out by the recruitment of various adaptor proteins, including TNFR-associated factors (TRAFs), leading to the activation of JNK, ERK, p38, NFATc1, AKT, and NF-κB signaling pathways. In addition, IFN-γ, IFN-β, and ITAM-activated costimulatory signals crosstalk with RANK signaling to regulate osteoclastogenesis in the opposite manner. While IFN-γ and IFN-β inhibit, ITAM stimulates this process. RANK and its ligand are associated to bone diseases such as postmenopausal osteoporosis and bone loss in inflammatory conditions. RANKL expressed on activated T-cells induces bone loss and joint destruction in rheumatoid arthritis. Also, RANK provides signals during medullary thymic epithelial cells (mTEC) development. mTECs contribute to the selection and survival of immunosuppressive Foxp3-positive regulatory T cells.Product Details
- Human RANK, amino acids (Gln29-Gly213) (Accession# AF018253), was expressed in 293E cells with a C-terminal containing IgG-Fc-His tag.
- Molecular Mass
- The 191 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 47.8 kD. The protein migrates at approximately 60 kD in DTT-reduced conditions and at approximately 120 kD in non-reduced conditions by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Gln.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS, pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.01 ng per µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method.
- 25 µg size is bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size is lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.) Please note, new lots of the 100 µg size will be lot-specific and may differ from previous lots that had a fixed concentration.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 = 50 - 200 ng/mL, as determined by inhibition of osteoclast differentiation induced by RANKL (20 ng/mL) on RAW264.7 macrophages.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are validated in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monocyte/macrophage lineage, dendritic cells, osteoclast precursors, mature osteoclasts, neurons and astrocytes of the preoptic area, and medial septal nucleus in the hypothalamus.
- RANK is a key regulator of bone remodeling, lymph node organogenesis, formation of lactating mammary gland, and body temperature. RANK is induced by M-CSF on osteoclast precursor cells.
- Bone marrow stromal cells, osteoblasts, and activated T cells.
- Soluble RANK inhibits osteoclast differentiation on RAW246.7 murine macrophages.
- Cell Type
- Embryonic Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Immunology, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- CD Molecules, Cytokines/Chemokines, Growth Factors
- Antigen References
1. Anderson DM, et al. 1997. Nature 390:175.
2. Kong Y, et al. 1999. Nature 402:304.
3. Takayanagi H, et al. 2000. Nature 408:600.
4. Boyle WJ, et al. 2003. Nature 423:337.
5. Eghbali-Fatourechi G, et al. 2003. J. Clin. Invest 111:1221.
6. Liu W, et al. 2004. J. Biol. Chem. 279:54759.
7. Hanada R, et al. 2009. Nature 462:505.
8. Akiyama T, et al. 2013. Front Immunol. 4:249.
9. Walsh MC and Choi Y. 2014. Front Immunol. 5:511.
- Gene ID
- 8792 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about RANK on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.