- Other Names
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor, ANON2, BLUN2, non-human species bdnf
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
Note: This product does not include ELISA microwell plates. Cat. No. 423501 is recommended.
Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) is the second member of the NGF family of neurotrophic factors (neurotrophins), which includes nerve growth factor (NGF), neurotrophin-3 (NT-3), and neurotrophin-4/5 (NT-4/5). BDNF shares approximately 55% amino acid identity with other family members. The amino acid sequence of mature BDNF is identical in all mammalian species examined to date. Mature BDNF promotes the survival and differentiation of selected neuronal populations of the peripheral and central nervous systems during development. BDNF participates in axonal growth, pathfinding, and in the modulation of dendritic growth and morphology. BDNF is also a major regulator of synaptic transmission and plasticity at adult synapses in many regions of the central nervous system (CNS). High levels of expression of BDNF have been detected in the hippocampus, cerebellum, fetal eye, and placenta. BDNF binds with high affinity and specifically activates the TrkB tyrosine kinase receptor. BDNF is also associated with multiple diseases such as Schizophrenia, Rett syndrome, obsessive compulsive disorder, Huntington’s disease, eating disorders, depression, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. For example, BDNF level is decreased in Alzheimer’s disease patients’ serum samples.
The BioLegend ELISA MAX™ Deluxe Set is a sandwich Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA). The human BDNF capture antibody is first coated on a 96-well plate. Standards and samples are added to the wells and free BDNF binds to the immobilized capture antibody. Next, biotinylated anti-human BDNF detection antibody is added, producing an antibody-antigen-antibody “sandwich”. Avidin horseradish peroxidase is subsequently added, followed by TMB Substrate Solution, producing a blue color in proportion to the concentration of BDNF present in the sample. Finally, the Stop Solution changes the reaction color from blue to yellow, and the microwell absorbance is read at 450 nm with a microplate reader.
- Kit Contents
- Human BDNF ELISA MAX™ Capture Antibody (200X)
- Human BDNF ELISA MAX™ Detection Antibody (200X)
- Human BDNF Standard
- Avidin-HRP (1000X)
- Substrate Solution F
- Coating Buffer A (5X)
- Assay Diluent A (5X)
- Assay Diluent C
- Lot-Specific Certificate of Analysis/ELISA MAX™ Deluxe Set Protocol
- As a part of BioLegend's efforts to go green, each new lot of the ELISA MAX™ sets will include a summarized version of its manual. Click here for more information.
- 27.5 pg/mL
- Standard Range
- 156.3-10,000 pg/mL
- Materials Not Included
- Microwell plates: BioLegend Cat. No. 423501 is recommended
- Wash Buffer: BioLegend Cat. No. 421601 is recommended, or PBS + 0.05% Tween-20
- Stop Solution: BioLegend Cat. No. 423001 is recommended, or acid solution, e.g. 2N H2SO4
- Plate Sealers: BioLegend Cat. No. 423601 is recommended
- PBS (Phosphate-Buffered Saline): 8.0 g NaCl, 1.16 g Na2HPO4, 0.2 g KH2PO4, 0.2 g KCl, add deionized water to 1 L; pH to 7.4, 0.2 μm filtered
- Deionized (DI) water
- A microplate reader capable of measuring absorbance at 450 nm
- Adjustable pipettes to measure volumes ranging from 2 μL to 1 mL
- Wash bottle or automated microplate washer
- Log-Log graph paper or software for data analysis
- Tubes to prepare standard dilutions
- Do the ELISA MAX™ Deluxe Sets come with plates?
No, ELISA MAX™ Deluxe sets no longer come with plates, but Coating Buffer and Assay Diluent (for blocking and dilutions) are included in the ELISA MAX™ Deluxe Sets. Plates can be ordered separately (Cat. No. 423501), and instructions on coating the plates are in the sets’ product manuals.