- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Matrix metallopeptidase 2, Gelatinase A, MMP2, GelA, Clg4a, MMP
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
MMP-2, also known as gelatinase A, is a member of matrix metalloproteinase family proteins (MMPs). MMPs are structurally related, zinc-containing enzymes that degrade the extracellular matrix (ECM) and connective tissue proteins in normal physiological processes such as embryonic development, reproduction, and tissue remodeling as well as in disease processes such as arthritis and metastasis. MMP-2 consists of a prodomain, which is cleaved upon activation, a catalytic domain containing the zinc binding site, a fibronectin-like domain (that plays a role in the substrate targeting), and a carboxyl terminal (hemopexin-like repeats) domain. Activation of MMP-2 requires proteolytic processing: a complex of membrane type 1 MMP (MT1-MMP) and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase 2 recruits pro-MMP-2 from the extracellular milieu to the cell surface. Next, the MMP-2 is activated by active MT1-MMP and subsequently undergoes auto-catalytic cleavage. Substrates of MMP-2 include type IV collagen, aggrecan, link protein, decorin, fibronectin, and type X and XI collagens, all of which are components of the articular cartilaginous matrix. Importantly, MMP-2 secretion is elevated in several types of human cancers and its elevated expression has been associated with poor prognosis. Mutations in the MMP2 gene are associated with Torg-Winchester syndrome, multicentric osteolysis, arthritis syndrome, and possibly keloids. MMP-2 deficient mice exhibit slightly delayed growth, reduced neovascularization, retarded tumor progression, an exaggerated asthma response to allergens, and impaired branching morphogenesis of the mammary gland.Product Details
- Mouse MMP-2, amino acids (Ile34-Cys662) (Accession# NP_032636.1), was expressed with a C-terminal His tag and a linker sequence in 293E cells.
- Molecular Mass
- This 663 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 74.5 kD. The protein migrates at about 72 kD in DTT-reducing conditions and about 71 kD in non-reducing conditions by SDS-PAGE.The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Ile.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in TCN (25 mM TRIS, 5 mM CaCl2, 150 mM NaCl, pH 7.5).
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 1.0 EU per µg of protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 100 µg/mL.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C for six months. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Mouse MMP-2 cleaves the peptide substrate Mca-PLGL-Dpa-AR-NH2 with an activity above 1400 pmol/min/µg.
- Application Notes
Mouse MMP-2 at a concentration 40 µg/mL was activated for at least 1 h at 37°C in the presence of 1 mM APMA to produce activated mouse MMP-2. The final assay condition was 10 ng of activated mouse MMP-2 and 10 µM of substrate. Reaction was read at excitation and emission of 320 nm and 405 nm, respectively, in kinetic mode for 5 min.
This protein is in the latent form and needs to be activated for bioassay.
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Product Citations
MMP-2 is expressed by fibroblasts, endothelial cells, alveolar epithelial cells, and macrophages.
- Involved in the degradation of ECM and connective tissue proteins as well as angiogenesis, tissue remodeling, and cancer metastasis. MMP-2 secretion is elevated in several types of cancers.
- ECM proteins.
- TIMPs, CCL7, thrombospondin 1.
- Mouse MMP-2 cleaves the peptide substrate Mca-PLGL-Dpa-AR-NH2.
- Biology Area
- Angiogenesis, Cell Adhesion, Cell Biology, Neuroinflammation, Neuroscience, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Enzymes and Regulators
- Antigen References
1. Nagase H, and Woessner JF. 1999. J. Biol. Chem. 274:21491.
2. Martignetti J.A. et al. 2001. Nat. Genet. 28:261.
3. Itoh T, et al. 1997. J. Biol. Chem. 272:22389.
4. Passlick B, et al. 2000. Clin. Cancer. Res. 6:3944.
5. Qian Q, et al. 2010. Cancer Invest. 28:661.
6. Hoikkala S, et al. 2006. Cancer Lett. 236:125.
7. Yamamura T, et al. 2002. Cancer. 35:249.
- Gene ID
- 17390 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about MMP-2 on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)