- 11C12E12 (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- S-100 protein beta chain, S-100 protein subunit beta, S100 calcium-binding protein B
- Mouse IgG1
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
S100B is glial-specific. It has been shown that it is only expressed by a subtype of mature astrocytes that ensheath blood vessels, and by NG2-expressing cells. This protein may function in neurite extension, stimulation of Ca2+ fluxes, inhibition of PKC-mediated phosphorylation, astrocytosis and axonal proliferation, and inhibition of microtubule assembly. In the developing central nervous system (CNS), it acts as a neurotrophic factor and neuronal survival protein. In the adult organism, it is usually elevated due to nervous system damage, which makes it a potential clinical marker. S100B is secreted by astrocytes or can spill from injured cells and enter the extracellular space or bloodstream. Serum levels of S100B increase in patients during the acute phase of brain damage. Over the last decade, S100B has emerged as a candidate peripheral biomarker of blood–brain barrier (BBB) permeability and central nervous system injury.Product Details
- Verified Reactivity
- Human, Mouse, Rat
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Full length recombinant human S100B protein.
- Phosphate-buffered solution, pH 7.2, containing 0.09% sodium azide.
- The antibody was purified by affinity chromatography.
- 0.5 mg/ml
- Storage & Handling
- The antibody solution should be stored undiluted between 2°C and 8°C.
WB - Quality tested
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by Western blotting. For Western blotting, the suggested use of this reagent is 0.5 - 2.0 µg per ml. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
- Product Citations
AB_2734531 (BioLegend Cat. No. 676603)
AB_2571890 (BioLegend Cat. No. 676604)
- 92 amino acids with a predicted molecular weight of approximately 10.7 kD.
Mainly expressed in mature astrocytes of the brain. It is also found in a variety of other cell types such as T lymphocytes, monocytes, and platelets.
- Neurite extension, stimulation of Ca2+ fluxes, inhibition of PKC-mediated phosphorylation, astrocytosis and axonal proliferation, and inhibition of microtubule assembly.
- STK38, CACYBP, ATAD3A, S100A6, CAPZA1 AGER, and PPP5C.
- Cell Type
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Immunology, Neuroinflammation, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Cell Markers, Signal Transduction
- Antigen References
1. Wang D, et al. 2008. Prog. Neurobiol. 86:342.
2. Michetti F, et al. 2012. J. Neurochem. 120:644.
3. Zongo D, et al. 2012. Annals. of Emergency Medicine 59:209.
4. Deloulme J, et al. 2000. J. Biol. Chem. 275:35302-10.
- Gene ID
- 6285 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about S100B on UniProt.org
Customers Also Purchased
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.