- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- CD116, Colony Stimulating Factor 2 Receptor Alpha Subunit, Csfgmra, GM-CSFR, GM-CSF-Ra
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
GM-CSF was initially isolated from mouse lung cell-conditioned media as a small glycoprotein able to generate both macrophage and granulocyte colonies from mouse bone marrow precursor cells. GM-CSF binds specifically to its receptor, which is a heterodimer composed of a cytokine-specific α-chain (GM-CSF receptor α chain, GMRα) and β-chain (βc), which is shared with the receptors for IL-3 and IL-5. GM-CSFRα binds with low affinity to GM-CSF, but the αβ heterodimeric complex facilitates a stable interaction with high affinity. Mouse GM-CSFRa is a single type I membrane protein of 387 amino acids with less than 35% homology to the human counterpart. Analysis of GM-CSFRa expression in cell populations in peripheral blood showed that all populations of granulocytes and monocytes express the receptor. Soluble form of GM-CSFRa has been described as the result of alternative splicing or metalloproteinase activity; thus, the soluble receptor was identified in medium conditioned by human myeloid leukemia cell lines (U937, THP-1, and HL-60), by normal human granulocytes, and in normal human plasma. Stimulation of monocytes with GM-CSF, LPS, PMA, and the calcium ionophore A23187 rapidly up-regulates the secretion of soluble GM-CSFRα through ectodomain shedding of cell surface receptor. The soluble receptor lacks the tramsmembrane domain and is able to antagonize GM-CSF binding and function.Product Details
- Mouse GM-CSFRα, amino acid Leu30 – Pro327 (Accession # Q00941) with a C-terminal human IgG Fc - 6His tag, was expressed in 293E cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 542 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 59.5 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrates at approximately 75 and 150kD respectively by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Leu.
- >98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- Sterile-filtered with 0.2 µm filter, solution comprised of PBS pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- < 0.1 EU/µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- The activity was measured by functional ELISA. Immobilized recombinant mouse GM-CSFRα, 100 µl at 2 µg/mL, binds recombinant mouse GM-CSF (Cat. No. 576302) in a dose dependent manner. The ED50= 3-15 ng/ml.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monocytes, granulocytes, tissue macrophages, type II alveolar epithelial cells, CD34+ progenitor cells, uterine cells, vascular endothelial cells, and fibroblasts.
- Modulate effector functions on myeloid cells, type II alveolar epithelial cells, CD34+ progenitor cells, uterine cells, vascular endothelial cells, and fibroblasts. Toll-like receptor agonists induce its expression in RAW 264.7 cells.
- β-chain (βc)
- Soluble GM-CSFRα antagonizes GM-CSF binding and function.
- Biology Area
- Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Soluble Receptors, Cytokine/Chemokine Receptors
- Antigen References
- Park LS, et al. 1998. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 89:4295.
- Prevost GM, et al. 2002. J Immunol. 169:5679.
- Hamilton JA, Anderson GP. 2004. Growth Factors. 22:225.
- Rosas M, et al. 2007. Eur J Immunol. 37:2518.
- Kared H, et al. 2008. Blood. 112:2575.
- Bhattacharya P, et al. 2011. J Leukoc Biol. 89:235.
- Bhattacharya P, et al. 2015. Cytokine. 75:261.
- Gene ID
- 12982 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about GM-CSFR alpha on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)