- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Colony stimulating factor 2, CSF2, Granulocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor, CSF-α, Pluripoietin-α, Eosinophil colony stimulating factor (Eo-CSF), Burst promoting activity (BPA)
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
GM-CSF plays a key role in signaling emergency hemopoiesis (predominantly myelopoiesis) in response to infection, including the production of granulocytes and macrophages in the bone marrow and their maintenance, survival, and functional activation at sites of injury or insult. The receptor for GM-CSF is a heterodimer that comprises a major binding subunit (GMRα) and a major signaling subunit (βc). The receptor subunits are always coexpressed on the surface of leukocytes, with βc being expressed at lower levels than GMRα. Certain nonhemopoietic cell types have also been reported to express the GM-CSF receptor and to respond to GM-CSF stimulation in vitro, although the in vivo significance of these observations remains uncertain.Product Details
- Porcine GM-CSF, amino acid Ala18-Lys144 (Accession # Q29118) was expressed in E.coli. The N-terminal contains Met.
- Molecular Mass
- The 128 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 14.5 kD. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Met.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- Lyophylize from sterile 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS pH7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 1 EU per μg protein as determined by the LAL method.
- Lyophilized recombinant protein is at 5 and 20 µg total protein
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for one month, at -20°C for six months, or at -70°C for one year. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute the protein in sterile water at 0.1 mg/mL. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C to -70°C. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in sterile buffer (PBS, HPBS, DPBS, or EBSS) containing carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA and stored in working aliquots at -20°C to -70°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Porcine GM-CSF induces the proliferation of human TF-1 cells in a dose-dependent manner. The ED50 for this effect is 1-6 ng/mL.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liophylized format are shipped on blue ice.
T cells, macrophages, fibroblasts, endothelial cells, mast cells
- Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) and the related cytokines IL-3 and IL-5 regulate the production and functional activation of hemopoietic cells, with GM-CSF acting on monocyte/macrophages and all granulocytes.
- Granulocyte, macrophage, erythroid/megakaryocytic progenitors, myeloblasts, monoblasts, dendritic cells, T cells.
- Heterodimer GM-CSFR α subunit (CDw116); β-subunit (CDw131) that is shared by IL-3 and IL-5 cytokines.
- Cell Type
- Embryonic Stem Cells, Granulocytes, Hematopoietic stem and progenitors
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Cytokines/Chemokines, Growth Factors
- Antigen References
- Hercus TR, et al. 2009 Blood 114:1289-98.
- Hayashida K, et al. 1990 Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 87:9655-9.
- Walker F, et al. 1985 EMBO J. 4:933-9.
- Kitamura T, et al. 1989 J. Cell Physiol. 140:323.
- Hercus TR, et al. 2012 Growth Factors. 30:63.
- Gene ID
- 397208 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about GM-CSF on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)