- Other Names
- SIS-delta, T-cell specific protein p288, beta-chemokine RANTES, regulated upon activation, normally T-expressed, and presumably secreted, small inducible cytokine A5
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
RANTES is a CC chemokine and directs the migration of leukocytes in immune and inflammatory responses. Increased CCL5/RANTES expression has been associated with a wide range of inflammatory disorders and pathologies. This cytokine has been associated as well with the induction or promotion of cancer (prostate and breast). In the latter situation, RANTES can be angiogenic and also increase the metastatic potential of cancer cells by encouraging cellular migration to sites of its production. CCL5/RANTES also inhibits HIV-1 entry and infection by competing with the virus for CCR5 binding.Product Details
- Human CCL5, amino acids Ser24-Ser91 (Accession# NM_002985), was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 68 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of 7.8 kD. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Ser.
- >98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE and HPLC analysis.
- Lyophilized, carrier-free.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 ng per µg of protein.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute in water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. Do not vortex. It is recommended to further dilute in a buffer, such as 5% Trehalose, and store working aliquots at -20°C to -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 is between 1.0 - 10.0 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of 1.0 - 10.0 x 105 units/mg as determined by its ability to chemoattract human monocytes.
- CCL5 is secreted by lymphocytes, macrophages, eosinophils, platelets, and fibroblasts. CCL5 is expressed by hepatocytes, sinusoidal endothelial cells and biliary epithelium during chronic hepatitis C.
- RANTES can promote IL-2 and IL-5 expression in human T cells, and the expression of IL-6 and IL-8 in fibroblasts from patients with rheumatoid arthritis. RANTES modulates the LPS-induced IL-6 and TNF-α in peripheral blood monocytes; this modulation is through the induction of IL-10 by RANTES.
- RANTES/CCL5 is chemoattractant for memory and activated T cells, monocytes, dendritic cells, eosinophils, NK cells, mast cells, and basophils.
- CCL5 binds to CCR1, CCR3 and CCR5 receptors. In addition CCL5 binds to CCR9; nevertheless, it does not induce calcium flux and therefore no chemotactic response.
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Immunology, Innate Immunity, Neuroinflammation, Neuroscience
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
1. Schall, et al. 1990. Nature 347:669.
2. Cocchi F, et al. 1995. Science 270:1811.
3. Shahrara S, et al. 2006. J. Immunol. 177:5077.
4. Larrubia JR, et al. 2008. World J. Gastroenterol. 14:7149.
5. Gleissner CA, et al. 2008. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 28:1920.
- Gene ID
- 717004 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about CCL5 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.