IL-22, a cytokine structurally related to IL10, was originally identified in the mouse as a gene induced by IL9 in T cells and mast cells (1). IL-22 was initially designated as ILTIF (IL10-related T cell-derived inducible factor). Mouse IL-TIF consists of 179 amino acids, including four cysteins, and has a predicted molecular weight of 20 KD. IL-22 shows 22% sequence identity with mouse IL-10 and belongs to a family of cytokines with limited homology to IL-10, namely IL-10, IL-19, IL-20, IL-24, IL-26, IL-28A, IL-28B, and IL-29 (the latter 3 also known as IFN-λ) (3). IL-22 biological activity is initiated by binding to a cell-surface complex composed of IL-22R1 and IL-10R2 receptor chains and further regulated by interactions with a soluble binding protein, IL-22BP, which shares sequence similarity with an extracellular region of IL-22R1 (sIL-22R1) (3). Both chains of the IL-22R complex belong to the class II CRF. Two types of IL-22-binding receptor have been discovered, a membrane-bound receptor and a soluble receptor, both encoded by different genes (4). IL-22 is produced by immune cells and acts on nonimmune cells to regulate local tissue inflammation. As a product of the recently identified T helper 17 lineage of CD4(+) effector lymphocytes, IL-22 plays a critical role in mucosal immunity as well as in dysregulated inflammation observed in autoimmune diseases (5).Product Details
- Mouse IL-22, amino acids Leu34-Val179 (Accession # NM_016971) was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 147 amino acid N-terminal methionylated recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 16.8 kDa. The DTT-reduced protein migrates at approximately 15 kDa and the non-reduced protein migrates at approximately 13 kDa by SDS-PAGE.
- Purity is >98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in 10mM NaH2PO4, 150mM NaCl, pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Endotoxin level is <0.1 EU/µg (<0.01ng/µg) protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.) Please note, new lots of the 100 µg size will be lot-specific and may differ from previous lots that had a fixed concentration.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- The ED50 is 0.095-0.265 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of 1.05-0.38 X107 units/mg, as determined by a dose dependent stimulation of human Colo205 cells in production of IL-10.
- Recommended Usage
Use when high specific biological activity is required.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
- Product Citations
- Biology Area
- Stem Cells, Immunology, Cell Biology
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
1. Dumoutier L, et al. 2000. J. Immun. 164:1814.
2. Xie MH, et al. 2000. J. Biol. Chem. 275:31335.
3. Jones BC, et al. 2008. Structure.
4. Kotenko SV, et al. 2001. J. Immun. 166:7096.
5. Chang C, et al. 2006. Cell Research 16:902.
- Gene ID
- 50929 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about IL-22 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.