MojoSort™ Mouse CD4 Nanobeads Protocol
MojoSort™ magnetic particles can be used with other commercially available magnetic separators, both free standing magnets and column-based systems. Because MojoSort™ protocols are optimized for the MojoSort™ separator, the protocols may need to be adjusted for other systems. Please contact BioLegend Technical Service (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information and guidance. We do not recommend using MojoSort™ particles for BD’s IMag™ or Life Technologies’ DynaMag™.
Product description and procedure summary:
The cells targeted by the Nanobeads are either selected or depleted by incubating your sample with the directly conjugated magnetic particles. The magnetically labeled fraction is retained by the use of a magnetic separator. After collection of the targeted cells, downstream applications include functional assays, gene expression, phenotypic characterization, etc.
Note: This procedure is optimized for the isolation of 107 to 2 x 108cells per tube. If working with fewer than 107 cells, keep volumes as indicated for 107 cells. For best results, optimize the conditions to your specific cell number and tissue. Prepare fresh MojoSort™ Buffer solution by diluting the 5X concentrate with sterile distilled water. Scale up volumes if using 14mL tubes and Magnet, and place the tube in the magnet for 10 minutes.
- Prepare cells from your tissue of interest or blood without lysing erythrocytes.
- In the final wash of your sample preparation, resuspend the cells in MojoSort™ Buffer by adding up to 4 mL in a 5 mL (12 x 75 mm) polypropylene tube.
Note: Keep MojoSort™ Buffer on ice throughout the procedure.
- Filter the cells with a 70µm cell strainer, centrifuge at 300xg for 5 minutes, and resuspend in an appropriate volume of MojoSort™ Buffer. Count and adjust the cell concentration to 1 x 108 cells/mL.
- Aliquot 100 µL of cell suspension (107 cells) into a new tube. Add 5µL of Mouse TruStain FcX™, mix well and incubate at room temperature for 10 minutes. Scale up the volume accordingly if separating more cells. For example, if the volume of Mouse TruStain FcX™ for 1x107 cells is 5µL, add 50µL for 1 x 108 cells. When working with less than 107 cells, use indicated volumes for 107 cells.
- Resuspend the beads by vortexing, maximum speed, 5 touches. Add 10µL of Antibody Nanobeads. Mix well and incubate on ice for 15 minutes. Scale up the volume accordingly if separating more cells. For example, add 100 µL of Nanobeads for separating 1 x 108 cells in 1 ml of MojoSort™ Buffer. When working with less than 107 cells, use indicated volumes for 107 cells.
- Add 2.5mL of MojoSort™ Buffer.
Note: If you observe aggregates, filter the suspension. To maximize yield, you can disrupt the aggregates
- Place the tube in the magnet for 5 minutes.
Optional: Take a small aliquot before placing the tube in the magnet to monitor purity and yield. Keep unused cells to be used as control or other applications if needed.
- Pour out the unlabeled fraction. If these are your cells of interest, DO NOT DISCARD. Resuspend the labeled cells in 2.5mL MojoSort™ Buffer.
- Repeat steps 6-8 on the labeled fraction twice more for a total of 3 separations. Pool the unlabeled fractions and keep the labeled cells. The fraction that is not of interest may be useful as staining controls, to monitor purity/yield, or other purposes.
Optional: Take a small aliquot to monitor purity and yield.
Application notes: To use this product in magnetic separation columns, a titration of the Nanobeads should be performed. Optimal concentration for magnetic separation columns is lot-specific. Please contact BioLegend Technical Service (email@example.com) for further assistance on how to use MojoSort™ Nanobeads in magnetic separation columns.