MojoSort™ Human CD4 T Cell Selection Kit Column Protocol - CD4 Nanobeads
BioLegend MojoSort™ nanobeads work in commonly used separation columns, based on our internal research as well as validation by external testing by academic labs. This simple protocol consists of following the MojoSort™ protocol to label the cells with pre-diluted MojoSort™ reagents and using the columns as indicated by the manufacturer.
Note: Due to the properties of our beads, it may be possible to use far fewer beads than with other commercial suppliers. We recommend a titration to find the best dilution factor. However, as a general rule, dilutions ranging from 1:3 to 1:20 for the Nanobeads can be used. Please contact BioLegend Technical Service (firstname.lastname@example.org) if further assistance is needed.
MojoSort™ magnetic particles can be used with other commercially available magnetic separators, both free standing magnets and column-based systems. Because MojoSort™ protocols are optimized for the MojoSort™ separator, the protocols may need to be adjusted for other systems. Please contact BioLegend Technical Service (email@example.com) for more information and guidance. We do not recommend using MojoSort™ particles for BD’s IMag™ or Life Technologies’ DynaMag™.
This protocol is to be used with the two-step Human CD4 T Cell Selection Kit (Cat. No. 480038). First use the CD14 Selection Kit for monocyte depletion, followed by the CD4 Nanobeads to select CD4+ T Cells.
- After monocyte depletion using the CD14 selection protocol, centrifuge the pooled unlabeled CD4+ T Cells at 300xg for 5 minutes, discard supernatant, and resuspend in an appropriate volume of MojoSort™ Buffer. Count and adjust the cell concentration to 1 x 108 cells/mL.
Note: Keep MojoSort™ Buffer on ice throughout the procedure.
- Aliquot 100 µL (107 cells), or desired amount of cells, into a new tube.
- Vortex the antibody-conjugated Nanobeads (to resuspend) at max speed, 5 touches, and prepare the dilutions to test. Add 10 µL of pre-diluted conjugated Nanobeads. Mix well and incubate on ice for 15 minutes. Scale up the volume accordingly if separating more cells. For example, add 100 µL of pre-diluted Nanobeads for separating 1 x 108 cells in 1 ml of MojoSort™ Buffer. When working with less than 107 cells, use indicated volumes for 107 cells.
- Add the appropriate amount of MojoSort™ Buffer and proceed to separation. At least 500 µL is needed for column separation.
Note: There are several types of commercially available columns, depending on your application. Choose the one that fits best your experiment:
Example of magnetic separation with medium capacity columns:
- Place the column in a magnetic separator that fits the column.
- Rinse the column with 3 mL of cell separation buffer.
- Add the labeled cell suspension to the column through a 30 µm filter and collect the fraction containing the unlabeled cells.
- Wash the cells in the column 3 times with 3 mL of buffer and collect the fraction containing the unlabeled cells. Combine with the collected fraction from step 3. These cells may be useful as controls, to monitor purity/yield, or other purposes.
- Take away the column from the magnet and place it on a tube. Then add 5 mL of buffer and flush out the magnetically labeled fraction with a plunger or supplied device. These are the positively isolated cells of interest; do not discard. To increase the purity of the magnetically labeled fraction repeat the isolation process with a new, freshly prepared column.
Flow cytometry. High purity and yield. “After Isolation” plot shows purified population of interest using pre-diluted MojoSort™ reagents in separation columns.
|Mouse CD19 Nanobeads||97.7%||94%|
Electron Microscopy. MojoSort™ Nanobead-isolated CD19+ cells using columns do not display more bound beads on the cell surface (A) as compared to cells isolated with a compatible commercial product using the same columns (B). Red arrows indicate where the particles are located. Numbers indicate either 2 or 3 magnetic particles adjacent to each other. Pictures were taken at the same magnification, scale shown in B. Images are representative of 41 different cells each.
B cells isolated with MojoSort™ CD19 nanobeads using separation columns.
B cells isolated with competitor's CD19 magnetic beads using separation columns.