MojoSort™ Human CD4 T Cell Selection Kit Column Protocol - CD14 Selection
BioLegend MojoSort™ nanobeads work in commonly used separation columns, based on our internal research as well as validation by external testing by academic labs. This simple protocol consists of following the MojoSort™ protocol to label the cells with pre-diluted MojoSort™ reagents and using the columns as indicated by the manufacturer.
Note: Due to the properties of our beads, it may be possible to use far fewer beads than with other commercial suppliers. We recommend a titration to find the best dilution factor. However, as a general rule, dilutions ranging from 1:3 to 1:20 for the Nanobeads can be used. Please contact BioLegend Technical Service (firstname.lastname@example.org) if further assistance is needed.
MojoSort™ magnetic particles can be used with other commercially available magnetic separators, both free standing magnets and column-based systems. Because MojoSort™ protocols are optimized for the MojoSort™ separator, the protocols may need to be adjusted for other systems. Please contact BioLegend Technical Service (email@example.com) for more information and guidance. We do not recommend using MojoSort™ particles for BD’s IMag™ or Life Technologies’ DynaMag™.
This protocol is to be used with the two-step Human CD4 T Cell Selection Kit (Cat. No. 480038). First use the CD14 Selection Kit for monocyte depletion, followed by the CD4 Nanobeads to select CD4+ T Cells.
- Prepare cells from your tissue of interest or blood without lysing erythrocytes.
- In the final wash of your sample preparation, resuspend the cells in MojoSort™ Buffer by adding up to 4 mL in a 5 mL (12 x 75 mm) polypropylene tube.
Note: Keep MojoSort™ Buffer on ice throughout the procedure.
- Filter the cells with a 70 µm cell strainer, centrifuge at 300xg for 5 minutes, and resuspend in an appropriate volume of MojoSort™ Buffer. Count and adjust the cell concentration to 1 x 108 cells/mL.
- Aliquot 100 µL (107 cells) into a new tube. Add 5 µL of the pre-diluted Biotin-Antibody Cocktail. Mix well and incubate on ice for 15 minutes. Scale up the volume if separating more cells. For example, add 100µL of pre-diluted antibody for separating 1 x 108 cells in 1 ml of MojoSort™ Buffer. When working with less than 107 cells, use indicated volumes for 107 cells.
- Vortex the Streptavidin conjugated Nanobeads (to resuspend) at max speed, 5 touches, and prepare the dilutions to test. Add 10 µL of pre-diluted Streptavidin Nanobeads. Mix well and incubate on ice for 15 minutes. Scale up the volume accordingly if separating more cells. For example, add 100 µL of pre-diluted Nanobeads for separating 1 x 108 cells in 1 ml of MojoSort™ Buffer. When working with less than 107 cells, use indicated volumes for 107 cells.
- Add the appropriate amount of MojoSort™ Buffer and proceed to separation. At least 500 µL is needed for column separation.
Note: There are several types of commercially available columns, depending on your application. Choose the one that fits best your experiment:
Example of magnetic separation with medium capacity columns:
- Place the column in a magnetic separator that fits the column.
- Rinse the column with 3 mL of cell separation buffer.
- Add the labeled cell suspension to the column through a 30 µm filter and collect the fraction containing the unlabeled cells.
- Wash the cells in the column 3 times with 3 mL of buffer and collect the fraction containing the unlabeled cells. Combine with the collected fraction from step 3. These cells may be useful as controls, to monitor purity/yield, or other purposes.
- Take away the column from the magnet and place it on a tube. Then add 5 mL of buffer and flush out the magnetically labeled fraction with a plunger or supplied device. These are the positively selected cells. Continue to the Human CD4 Nanobeads Column Protocol with monocyte depleted negative fraction. To increase the purity of the magnetically labeled fraction repeat the isolation process with a new, freshly prepared column.
Flow cytometry. High purity and yield. “After Isolation” plot shows purified population of interest using pre-diluted MojoSort™ reagents in separation columns.
|Mouse CD19 Nanobeads||97.7%||94%|
|Electron Microscopy. MojoSort™ Nanobead-isolated CD19+ cells using columns do not display more bound beads on the cell surface (A) as compared to cells isolated with a compatible commercial product using the same columns (B). Red arrows indicate where the particles are located. Numbers indicate either 2 or 3 magnetic particles adjacent to each other. Pictures were taken at the same magnification, scale shown in B. Images are representative of 41 different cells each.