- Other Names
- P40, MEA (mast cell growth enhancing activity), MCGF (Mast cell growth factor), TCGF-3 (T cell growth factor-3)
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
IL-9 was initially identified in mice as a T cell growth factor. Human and murine IL-9 show a 56% amino acid sequence homology. IL-9 is a cytokine that acts as a regulator of a variety of hematopoietic cells, stimulates cell proliferation, and prevents apoptosis. The IL-9 receptor consists of the cytokine-specific IL-9 receptor α-chain (IL-9Rα) and the common γ-chain that is shared by IL-2, IL-4, IL-7, IL-15, and IL-21. IL-9 is expressed by activated Th9, Th17, Tregs, and mast cells and appears to play an important role in the development and function of subsets within the CD4+ T cell lineage. IL-9 also inhibits immune responses by enhancing the suppressive properties of Tregs and by recruiting immunosuppressive mast cells to sites of inflammation. Genetic studies on a mouse model of asthma demonstrated that this cytokine is a key factor in the pathogenesis of bronchial hyperresponsiveness. In this sense, it has been described that IL-9 and IL-9R expression are increased in lungs of asthmatic patients. In addition, IL-9 promotes mast cell mediated intestinal permeability and plays a role in the development of food allergies. IL-9 has also been associated with atopic dermatitis.Product Details
- Human IL-9, amino acids (Gln19-Ile144) (Accession# NP_000581.1), was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 127 amino acid N-terminal methionylated recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of 14.2 kD. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Met.
- >98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE and HPLC analysis.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 ng per µg of protein.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute in water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. Do not vortex. It is recommended to further dilute in a buffer, such as 5% Trehalose, and store working aliquots at -20°C to -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 is ≤ 0.2 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of ≥ 5.0 x 106 units/mg as determined by the dose-dependent stimulation of the proliferation of human M07e cells.
- Th2 cells and mast cells, activated Th9, Th17, and Tregs.
- Autocrine growth and activation factor for Th17, Tregs, and mast cells. IL-1, histamine, and LPS induce the expression of IL-9 in mast cells. IL-9 is induced synergistically by IL-2, IL-4, and TGF-β and inhibited by IFN-γ in naïve CD4 T cells.
- T helper cells, Th9, Th17, Treg, human airway smooth muscle cells.
- IL-9R complex (IL-9R α and γ chain).
- Human IL-9 induces proliferation of M07e cells.
- Cell Type
- Hematopoietic stem and progenitors
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Stem Cells, Immunology
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
1. Goswami R, and Kaplan MH. 2011. J. Immunol. 186:3283.
2. Kaiko GE, and Foster PS. 2011. Curr. Opin. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 11:39.
3. Townsend JM, et al. 2000. Immunity 13:573.
4. Mock BA, et al. 1990. Immunogenetics. 31:265.
5. Tan C. et al. 2010. J. Immunol. 185:6795.
6. Jager A. et al. 2009. J. Immunol. 183:7169.
7. Sismanopoulos N, et al. 2012. PLoS One 7:e33271.
- Gene ID
- 3578 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about IL-9 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.