- Other Names
- Bone Morphogenetic Protein 4, Bone Morphogenetic Protein 2B, BMP4, BMP2B, BMP2B1
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) are multi-functional growth factors that belong to the transforming growth factor beta (TGFbeta) superfamily. BMPs play a key role in embryonic development, especially during heart, neural and cartilage development. Around 20 BMP family members have been identified and characterized. BMPs signal through serine/threonine kinase receptors, composed of type I and II subtypes. Four type I receptors have been identified: type IA and IB BMP receptors, type IA activin receptor, and activin receptor-like kinase I. Three type II receptors have also been recognized: type II BMP receptor and type II / IIB activin receptors. The BMP-4 gene is conserved across human, chimpanzee, Rhesus monkey, dog, cow, mouse, rat, and zebrafish species. BMP-2 and BMP-4 are highly similar, with a 92% amino acid sequence identity. BMP-4 is required for mesoderm formation and patterning in mice, and BMP-4 KO mice are embryonic-lethal. BMP-4 has an important role in postnatal tooth cytodifferentiation. Overexpression of BMP-4 has been associated with fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva (FOP). Overexpression of BMP-4 has also been associated with cancer, including melanoma, hepatocellular carcinoma, adenocarcinoma and colorectal cancer cell lines. This overexpression can promote migratory and invasive properties of cancer cells.Product Details
- Human BMP-4, amino acid (Ser293-Arg408) (Accession: P12644), was expressed in CHO cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 116 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 13 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrates at approximately 20 kD and 40 kD by SDS-PAGE, respectively. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Ser.
- > 95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in 0.1% TFA.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2ᵒC and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- BMP-4 induces alkaline phosphatase production in the chondrogenic cell line ATDC5. The ED50 for this effect is 3– 18 ng/mL.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are validated in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
- Disulfide-linked homodimer
Osteoblast, odontoblast, ameloblasts, megakaryocytes, endothelial cells. Lymphoblastoid cell lines from patients with fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva.
- Neural Stem Cells, mesenchymal stem cells, hematopoietic stem and progenitors, embryonic stem cells
- Condroblast, osteoblast, retinoblastoma cells
- Type I receptors BMPR-IA (ALK-3) and BMPR-IB (ALK-6).
- BMP-4 induces alkaline phosphatase production in the chondrogenic cell line ATDC5.
- Cell Type
- Astrocytes, Embryonic Stem Cells, Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Oligodendrocytes
- Biology Area
- Cardiovascular Biology, Cell Biology, Immuno-Oncology, Neurodegeneration, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Growth Factors
- Gene ID
- 652 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about BMP-4 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.