Bone morphogenetic protein 10 (BMP-10) was initially cloned from embryonic heart, and expression data suggests that it plays a key role in the trabeculation of the embryonic heart. BMP-10 shares >98% amino acid sequence identity among human, mouse, and rat orthologs. BMPs are members of the transforming growth factor β (TGF β) superfamily. BMP-10 is synthetized as an inactive precursor pro-BMP10 (∼60 kD) and is processed into active BMP-10 (∼14 kD) by proprotein convertase(s). Furin is the main convertase responsible for the generation of BMP-10. BMPs signal through heterotetrameric complex receptors, which include four type I receptors, ALK1, ALK2, ALK3 and ALK6, and three type II receptors, BMPRII, ActRIIA, and ActRIIB. The ligands bind to the heterotetrameric complex composed of two type II receptors and two type I receptors. Under ligand binding, the type II receptors phosphorylate and activate the type I that stimulate the receptor regulated-Smads. Addditionally, a co-receptor (endoglin) binds to ALK1 increasing the signal. BMP-9 and -10 are functionally equivalent ligands of ALK1 in vascular development. Nevertheless, BMP-10 has an unique function in cardiac development and cannot be replaced by BMP-9. However, both ligands have a redundant role in postnatal vascular development. ALK1 and endoglin are specifically expressed in endothelial cells and mutations in these receptors are associated with vascular defects.Product Details
- Human BMP-10, amino acids (Asn317 - Arg424) (Accession# NM_014482), was expressed in CHO cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 108 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 12 kD. The protein migrates at approximately 14 kD in DTT-reducing conditions and at 28 kD in non-reducing conditions by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Asn.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in 0.1% TFA, <20% ACN, and in 0.2M NaCl.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.01 ng per µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial. To obtain lot-specific concentration, please enter the lot number in our Concentration and Expiration Lookup or Certificate of Analysis online tools.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 = 4.0 - 20 ng/ml as determined by induction of alkaline phosphatase production in the mouse chrondrogenic cell line ATDC5 in a dose dependent manner.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BMP-10 is abundant in developing and postnatal heart.
- BMP-10 has a critical role in heart development, modulates cardiomyocyte proliferation and maturation during cardiac ventricular development, and retinal postnatal vascularization. Myocardin, a transcriptional coactivator, regulates BMP-10 expression.
- Endothelial cells.
- Heterotretrameric receptor formed by two type I receptors (ALK1) and two type II receptors (BMPRII, ActRIIA, and ActRIIB). Endoglin is a correceptor for ALK1.
- Cell Type
- Embryonic Stem Cells, Hematopoietic stem and progenitors, Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Neural Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Stem Cells, Synaptic Biology
- Molecular Family
- Cytokines/Chemokines, Growth Factors
- Antigen References
1. Neuhaus H, et al. 1999. Mech. Dev. 80:181.
2. David L, et al. 2007. Blood 109:1953.
3. Llorca O, et al. 2007. J. Mol. Biol. 365:694.
4. Susan-Resiga D, et al. 2011. J. Biol. Chem. 286:22785.
5. Ricard N, et al. 2012. Blood 119:6162.
6. Huang J, et al. 2012. J. Clin. Invest 122:3678.
7. Chen H, et al. 2013. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 29:11887.
8. Tillet E and Bailly S. 2014. Front Genet. 5:456.
- Gene ID
- 27302 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about BMP-10 on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)