- Other Names
- Interleukin 15, Interleukin-15, IL15, MGC9721
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
IL-15 was discovered in the supernatant from a simian kidney epithelial cell line CV-1/EBNA, as a soluble factor capable of supporting proliferation of the IL-2-dependent cell line, CTLL-2. Interleukin-15 (IL-15) is a regulatory cytokine, and it is produced by dendritic cells, epithelial cells, human stromal cell line (IMTLH), fibroblasts, and monocytes. IL-15 plays an important role in immune response and shares many similar functions as IL-2, for example, stimulating the proliferation of activated T cells, NK cells and B cells, and inducing immunoglobulin synthesis by B cells stimulated by anti-IgM or CD40 ligand. In addition, IL-15 promotes the development of dendritic cells, activates human neutrophils, and induces the production of proinflammatory cytokines from macrophages. IL-15 acts as a bridge between innate and adaptive immunity because of its diverse roles in the immune system. IL-15 binds to heterotrimeric receptors composed of IL-15Rα, IL-15Rβ, and IL-15Rγc. IL-15 shares with IL-2 the receptor chains β and γc. IL-15 is normally not secreted in soluble form but is held on the cell surface bound to a unique receptor, IL-15Rα, especially on dendritic cells. Cell-bound IL-15 then is presented in trans to T cells and NK cells and is recognized by the γc receptor on these cells; such recognition maintains cell survival and intermittent proliferation.Product Details
- Human IL-15, amino acid Asn49-Ser162 (Accession # P40933), was expressed in E.coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 114 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 12.8 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrates at approximately 11 kD and 7 kD by SDS-PAGE, respectively. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Asn.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE
- 0.1 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg protein as determined by the LAL method
- 500 µg/mL
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% endotoxin-free BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week or stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 = 2.0 - 10 ng/mL as measured by its ability to induce proliferation of MO7e human megakaryocytic leukemic cells. Deep Blue Cell Viability™ Kit (Cat. No. 424701) is used to measure the proliferation.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GMP Recombinant Proteins. BioLegend GMP recombinant proteins are manufactured in a dedicated GMP facility and compliant with ISO 13485:2016. For research or ex vivo cell processing use. Not for use in diagnostic or therapeutic procedures. Our processes include:
- Batch-to-batch consistency
- Material traceability
- Documented procedures
- Documented employee training
- Equipment maintenance and monitoring records
- Lot-specific certificates of analysis
- Quality audits per ISO 13485:2016
- QA review of released products
BioLegend GMP recombinant proteins are manufactured and tested in accordance with USP Chapter 1043, Ancillary Materials for Cell, Gene and Tissue-Engineered Products and Ph. Eur. Chapter 5.2.12.
- 13 kD non-glycosylated polypeptide
IL-15 is expressed by DC, epithelial cells, human stromal cell line (IMTLH), fibroblasts, and monocytes.
- IL-15 stimulates the proliferation of activated T cells, NK cells and B cells. IL-15 induces immunoglobulin synthesis by B cells stimulated by anti-IgM or CD40 ligand. In addition, IL-15 promotes the development of dendritic cells, activates human neutrophils, and induces the production of proinflammatory cytokines from macrophages.
- T lymphocytes, NK cells
- IL-15Rα, IL-15Rβ and IL-15γc
- Measured by its ability to induce proliferation of MO7e human megakaryocytic leukemic cells
- Cell Type
- Hematopoietic stem and progenitors
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Immunology, Innate Immunity, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
- Grabstein K, et al. 1994. Science. 264:965-8.
- Ma A, et al. 2006. Annu Rev Immunol. 24:657-79.
- Meresse B, et al. 2004. Immunity. 21:357-66.
- Armitage RJ, et al. 1995. J Immunol. 154:483-90.
- Pulendran B, et al. 2004. Eur J Immunol. 34:66-73.
- Ratthé C, et al. 2004. J Leuko Biol. 76:162-8.
- Bouchard A, et al. 2004. J Leuko Biol. 75 893-900.
- Tang F, et al. 2008. Cell Immunol. 5:189-96.
- Rubinstein MP, et al. 2006. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 103:9166-71.
- Gene ID
- 3600 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about IL-15 on UniProt.org