- 1G5 (See other available formats)
- Other Names
- Catenin (Cadherin-Associated Protein), Alpha 1, 102kD, Alpha-1-Catenin, Alpha E-Catenin , Cadherin-Associated Protein,102 kD, CAP102, CTNNA1
- Mouse IgG1, κ
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
α-catenin associates with the cytoplasmic domain of a variety of plasma membrane spanning cadherins that mediate cell-cell adhesion. The association of catenins to cadherins produces a complex that is linked to the actin filament network, which seems to be of primary importance for their cell-adhesion properties. Catenin can associate with both E- and N-cadherins. It was originally thought to be a stable component of E-cadherin/catenin adhesion complexes and to mediate the linkage of cadherins to the actin cytoskeleton at adherens junctions. In contrast, cortical actin was found to be much more dynamic than E-cadherin/catenin complexes and α-catenin was shown not to bind to F-actin when assembled in the complex suggesting a more complex, dynamic linkage between actin and these adherens junctions components. The homodimeric form may regulate actin filament assembly and inhibit actin branching by competing with the Arp2/3 complex for binding to actin filaments.Product Details
- Human, Mouse, Rat
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Recombinant human MBP-alpha catenin fusion protein.
- 0.2 µm filtered in phosphate-buffered solution, pH 7.2, containing no preservative. Endotoxin level is <0.01 EU/µg of the protein (<0.001 ng/µg of the protein) as determined by the LAL test.
- The Ultra-LEAF™ (Low Endotoxin, Azide-Free) antibody was purified by affinity chromatography.
- 1.0 mg/ml
- Storage & Handling
- The antibody solution should be stored undiluted between 2°C and 8°C. This Ultra-LEAF™ solution contains no preservative; handle under aseptic conditions.
ICC - Quality tested
WB - Validated
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by immunocytochemistry. For immunocytochemistry, a concentration range of 0.1 - 10 μg/ml is recommended. For Western blotting, the suggested use of this reagent is 5.0 - 10 µg per ml. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Sacco PA, et al. 1995. J. Biol. Chem. 270:20201. (WB, IP, IF)
- Johnson KR, et al. 1993. Exp. Cell Res. 2:252.
AB_2565809 (BioLegend Cat. No. 844803)
- A 102 kD member of the α-Catenin family composed primarily of alpha helical bundles. It contains three vinculin homology domains, a vinculin binding region, an actin binding domain, and a dimerization domain.
Cytoplasm, cytoskeleton, cell junctions, adherens junctions, cell membrane, peripheral membraine protein, and the cytoplasmic side.
- Involved in endothelial cell survival, migration, contact-dependent growth inhibition, hemophilic adhesion, signal transduction, Wnt signaling, and cell junction organization.
- α-catenin binds to β-catenin. Cadherin binds to the p120-catenin and β-catenin. This cadherin-catenin complex interacts with the actin cytoskeleton. α-catenin can also bind vinculin, then associate with actin nucleating proteins.
- Biology Area
- Cell Adhesion, Cell Biology, Cell Motility/Cytoskeleton/Structure, Neuroscience, Synaptic Biology
- Molecular Family
- Adhesion Molecules
- Antigen References
1. Hirano S, et al. 2012. Physiol. Rev. 92:597.
- Gene ID
- 1495 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about alpha-E-Catenin on UniProt.org
- Does BioLegend test each Ultra-LEAF™ antibody by functional assay?
No, BioLegend does not test Ultra-LEAF™ antibodies by functional assays unless otherwise indicated. Due to the possible complexities and variations of uses of biofunctional antibodies in different assays and because of the large product portfolio, BioLegend does not currently perform functional assays as a routine QC for the antibodies. However, we do provide references in which the antibodies were used for functional assays and we do perform QC to verify the specificity and quality of the antibody based on our strict specification criteria.
- Do you guarantee that your antibodies are totally pathogen free?
BioLegend does not test for pathogens in-house aside from the GoInVivo™ product line. However, upon request, this can be tested on a custom basis with an outside, independent laboratory.
- Does BioLegend test each Ultra-LEAF™ antibody for potential pathogens?
No, BioLegend does not test for pathogens in-house unless otherwise indicated. However, we can recommend an outside vendor to perform this testing as needed.
- Have you tested this Ultra-LEAF™ antibody for in vivo or in vitro applications?
We don't test our antibodies for in vivo or in vitro applications unless otherwise indicated. Depending on the product, the TDS may describe literature supporting usage of a particular product for bioassay. It may be best to further consult the literature to find clone specific information.
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.