- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Oncostatin M (OSM)
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
|712302||10 µg||237 CHF|
OSM is a member of gp130 family of cytokines and shares significant similarities in amino acid sequence and secondary structure with leukemia inhibitory factor (LIF). Human OSM can signal through two types of receptor complexes: type I receptor (gp130/LIFR) and type II receptor (gp130/OSMRβ). Mouse OSM can only signal through type II receptor. Binding of human OSM to gp130/LIFRa complex can activate JAK1, JAK2 and Tyk2 pathways. Binding of human OSM to another receptor, gp130/OSMRβ, can activate STAT5, STAT6, PKC delta and PI3K/Akt pathways. Proteolytic cleavage of the C-terminal hydrophilic domain can significantly increase OSM activity. OSM is a pleiotropic cytokine and its activity is dependent on different tissues. It has been shown that OSM is involved in differentiation, cell proliferation, hematopoiesis, and inflammation. OSM can regulate cell proliferation through VEGF-A or Cyclin D1. OSM can regulate inflammation via induction of other cytokines and their receptors. OSM can also regulate extracellular matrix remodeling through induction of MMP-1 and TIMP-1. OSM regulates hematopoiesis by stimulating stromal cells to provide proper microenvironment. In bone marrow, OSM can also retain hematopoietic progenitors by regulating G-CSF and SDF-1 levels. OSM has also been implicated in CNS development, fat turnover, and liver regeneration.Product Details
- Human Oncostatin, amino acids Ala26-Arg234 (Accession# NP_065391.1), was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 210 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 24 kD. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Met.
- >98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE and HPLC analysis.
- Lyophilized, carrier-free.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 ng per µg of protein.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute in water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. Do not vortex. It is recommended to further dilute in a buffer, such as 5% Trehalose, and store working aliquots at -20°C to -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Determined by its ability to stimulate the proliferation of human TF-1 cells. The expected ED50 is ≤ 2.0 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of ≥ 5.0 x 105 units/mg.
OSM can be secreted by activated macrophages, monocytes, neutrophils, T cells, mast cells and dendritic cells.
- LPS or GM-CSF can induce OSM production in neutrophile. SOCS-3 can inhibit OSM signal.
- OSM regulate a variety of cell types.
- OSM receptor type I (gp130/LIFR heterodimer) or OSM receptor type II (OSMRβ/gp130 heterdimer). Human OSM also binds to collagents I, II and IV.
- Cell Type
- Embryonic Stem Cells, Hematopoietic stem and progenitors
- Biology Area
- Cell Proliferation and Viability, Immunology, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Cytokines/Chemokines, Growth Factors
- Antigen References
1. Gearing DP, et al. 1992. Science. 255:1434.
2. Liu J, et al. 1994. Cytokine. 6:272.
3. Richards CD. 2013. ISRN Inflamm. 2013:512103.
4. Tanaka M, et al. 2003. Rev. Physiol. Biochem. Pharmacol. 149:39.
5. Chen SH, et al. 2004. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 15:379.
- Gene ID
- 5008 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Oncostatin M on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)