- Other Names
- Stromelysin-1, Transin-1, progelatinase, MMP3, MMP
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
MMP-3 is a member of the matrix metalloproteinase family proteins (MMPs). MMPs are structurally related, zinc-containing enzymes that degrade the extracellular matrix (ECM) and connective tissue proteins in normal physiological processes, such as embryonic development, reproduction, and tissue remodeling as well as in disease processes such as arthritis and metastasis. MMP-3 consists of a prodomain which is cleaved upon activation, a catalytic domain containing the zinc binding site, a short hinge region, and a carboxyl terminal (Hemopexin-like repeats) domain. Substrates of MMP-3 include collagen α chains, aggrecan, laminin, fibronectin, elastin, casein, α1-antitrypsin, myelin basic protein, IL-1β, IGFBP3, pro MMP-1, pro MMP-7, pro MMP-8, pro MMP-9, and pro MMP-13. MMP-3 is thought to be involved in wound repair, progression of atherosclerosis, and tumor initiation. It has been described that a polymorphism in the MMP-3 promoter region is associated with the risk of coronary heart disease and myocardial infarction, due to lower MMP-3 proteolytic activity and higher ECM deposition in atherosclerotic lesions. MMP-3 knockout mice have reduced vascular smooth muscle cell accumulation in atherosclerotic plaques, indicating that MMP-3 plays a role in neointima formation.Product Details
- Mouse MMP-3, amino acids (Tyr20-Cys479) (Accession # NP_034939.1), is expressed with a N-terminal Histidine tag and a linker sequence in 293E cell line.
- Molecular Mass
- Predicted molecular mass of approximately 54 kD. The protein migrates at about 55 kD in DTT-reducing conditions and about 60 kD in non-reducing conditions by SDS-PAGE. The N-terminal amino acid is His.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in TCN (25 mM TRIS, 5 mM CaCl2, 150 mM NaCl, 20% glycerol, pH 7.5).
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg of protein as determine by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.) Please note, new lots of the 100 µg size will be lot-specific and may differ from previous lots that had a fixed concentration.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C for six months. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Mouse MMP-3 cleaves the peptide substrate Mca-RPKPVE-Nval-WRK(Dnp)-NH2 with an activity above 250 pmol/min/µg.
- Application Notes
Mouse MMP-3 at 100 µg/ml was activated for at least 16h at 37°C to produce activated mMMP-3. The final assay condition was 50 ng of activated mouse MMP-3 and 10 µM of substrate. The reaction was read at excitation and emission of 320 nm and 405 nm, respectively, in kinetic mode for 5 min.
This protein is in the latent form and needs to be activated for bioassay.
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are validated in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MMP-3 is expressed by fibroblasts, chondrocytes, osteoblasts, endothelial cells, smooth muscle cells, and macrophages.
- Degradation of ECM and connective tissue proteins. Angiogenesis, tissue remodeling, cancer metastasis. MMP-3 is upregulated in gingival fibroblasts by P. gingivalis LPS. Proton-sensing G-protein-coupled receptor (GPR69) induces the expression of MMP-3.
- Fibronectin, laminin, collagens III, IV, IX, and X, and cartilage proteoglycans.
- Mouse MMP-3 cleaves a peptide substrate Mca-RPKPVE-Nval-WRK(Dnp)-NH2.
- Biology Area
- Angiogenesis, Cell Adhesion, Cell Biology, Neuroinflammation, Neuroscience, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Enzymes and Regulators
- Antigen References
1. Matrisian LM. 1990. Trends Genet. 6:121.
2. Nagase H and Woessner JF Jr. 1999. J. Biol. Chem. 274:21491.
3. Humphries SE, et al. 1998. Atherosclerosis 139: 49.
4. Kader AK, et al. 2007. Clin. Cancer Res. 13:2614.
5. Gill SE and Parks WC, 2008. Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 40:1334.
6. Mazor R, et al. 2013. J. Biol. Chem. 288:598.
7. Herath TD, et al. 2013. BMC Microbiol. 13:73.
8. Johnson JL, et al. 2011. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 9:e35.
- Gene ID
- 17392 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about MMP-3 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.