- Other Names
- Kallikrein-7, hK7, Serine protease 6, Stratum corneum chymotryptic enzyme (SCCE)
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Human kallikreins (KLKs) belong to a subgroup of secreted trypsin-like serine proteases within the S1 family (clan SA). So far, the human kallikrein family possesses 15 members, and they play a key role in a wide range of processes, which include seminal clot liquefaction, skin desquamation, renal homeostasis, myelination, and enamelogenesis. Human KLK7 was initially purified from human stratum corneum and cloned from the keratinocyte derived library. KLK7 is synthesized as a protein of 253 amino acids with a signal peptide of 22 and a propeptide of 7 amino acids. The mature protein contains the conserved active site regions of serine proteinases. KLK7 participates in the desquamation process of the stratum corneum through the direct cleavage of corneodesmosin (CDSN) and desmoglein 1 (DSG1). CDSN and DSG1 are adhesive proteins of the extracellular part of the corneodesmosomes, the junctional structures that mediate corneocyte cohesion. They also constitute a key element of the functional protective barrier of the human skin. Also, KLK7 regulates caspase-14 maturation during keratinocyte terminal differentiation. Through degradomics, the midkine, CYR61, and tenascin-C were identified as endogenous substrates for KLK7. In addition, KLK7 is overexpressed in the human pancreatic, breast, cervical, and ovarian cancers.Product Details
- Human KLK7, amino acids (Glu23-His252) (Accession# NM_139277), with a C-terminal 10His tag was expressed in CHO cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 245 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 26.9 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrates at approximately 34-40 kD and 30-35 kD respectively by SDS-PAGE.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in 20 mM Tris, 0.3 M NaCl, pH 7.5.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 1.0 EU per µg of protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -70°C for six months. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Human KLK7 cleaves the peptide substrate Mca-RPKPVE-Nval-WRK(Dnp)-NH2 with a specific activity value > 150 pmol/µg/min.
- Application Notes
This protein is in the latent form and needs to be activated for bioassay.
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
- Skin desquamation of the stratum cornium. Inhibited by Zn2+, Cu2+, and the lympho-epithelial Kazal-type related inhibitor. Activated by KLK5 and induced by estrogens and glucocorticoids in a breast carcinoma cell line.
- KLK7 directly cleaved CDSN and DSC1; Serpin A12.
- Degradation of corneodesmosomes.
- Biology Area
- Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Enzymes and Regulators
- Antigen References
1. Hansson L, et al. 1994. J. Biol. Chem. 269:19420.
2. Caubet C, et al. 2004. J. Invest. Dermatol. 122:1235.
3. Deraison C, et al. 2007. Mol. Biol. Cell. 18:3607.
4. Johnson SK, et al. 2007. Cancer 109:1811.
5. Emami N, Diamandis EP. 2008. J. Biol. Chem. 6:3031-41.
6. Lin TK, et al. 2012. J. Invest. Dermatol. 132:2430.
7. Haftek M. 2015. Cell Tissue Res. 360:483.
8. Yu Y, et al. 2015. J. Biol. Chem. 290:17762.
- Gene ID
- 5650 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about KLK7 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.