- Other Names
- Interleukin-1 receptor type 2, IL-1R2, IL1R2, IL-1R-2, IL-1RT-2, IL-1RT2, CD121 antigen-like family member B, CDw121b, IL-1 type II receptor, interleukin-1 receptor beta (IL-1R-beta), CD121b,
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
IL-1α and IL-1β both play key roles in inflammatory responses. IL-1 binds to its receptor IL-1R1 and co-receptor IL-1RAcP (IL-1 receptor accessory protein, IL-R3), activating the downstream signaling. There are natural antagonists to negatively regulate the IL-1 signaling. IL-1Ra is an antagonist and inhibits IL-1-induced responses through interacting with IL-1R1, preventing IL-1 binding. The second endogenous antagonist is IL-1R2. IL-1R2, a member of IL-1 receptor family, acts as a decoy receptor by preventing IL-1 binding to IL-1R1. IL-1R2 is structurally similar to IL-R1, but it cannot transduce signaling due to the absence of Toll/IL-1 receptor (TIR) domain in the cytoplasmic region, which is responsible for the recruitment of adaptor protein MyD88. IL-1R2 contains two isoforms, membrane-bound and soluble form. Membrane form IL-1R2 interacts with IL-1 and competes with IL-1R1. Soluble IL-1R2 is produced by alternative splicing; in addition, some evidence has shown that membrane IL-1R2 is cleaved by TACE metalloproteinase (TNF-α-converting enzyme) and ARTS-1 (aminopeptidase regulator of TNFR1 shedding), releasing soluble IL-1R2 from cell surface. Soluble IL-1RAcP, generated by alternative splicing, enhances soluble IL-1R2-mediated inhibition of IL-1 activity. Additionally, intracellular IL-1R2 can bind to pro-IL-1β and IL-1α precursors in the cytosol, preventing IL-1 maturation by caspase-1. Some studies demonstrated that IL-1R2 shows higher preference to IL-1β over IL-1α and IL-1Ra. Previous reports indicated that IL-4, IL-13 and dexamethasone induce the expression and release of IL-R2 in polymorphonuclear cells. In addition, LPS, TNF, reactive oxygen species and phorbol ester stimulate the release of IL-1R2 rapidly within minutes.Product Details
- Human IL-1R2, amino acid His21-Glu343 (Accession# P27930), with a linker sequence (GS) and a C-terminal human IgG1 (Pro100-Lys330), was expressed in 293E cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 556 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 63.1 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrates at approximately 80 and 160 kD respectively by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is His.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- Sterile-filtered with 0.2 µm filter, solution comprised of 1x PBS.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 Eu/µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 - 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- The ED50 = 0.25 - 1.0 µg/mL as determined by its ability to inhibit D10.G4.1 cell proliferation induced by human IL-1β (50 pg/ml). Deep Blue Cell Viability™ Kit was used to measure cell proliferation.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cytokine receptor
Predominantly expressed in monocytes, macrophages, polymorphonuclear cells (PMNs), B cells. Detected in microglial cells and Treg cells. Inducible in keratinocytes and endothelial cells.
- IL-1R2 is an endogenous antagonist to inhibit IL-1 activity.
- Pro-IL-1β and pro-IL-1α precursor.
- Measured by its ability to inhibit D10.G4.1 cell proliferation induced by human IL-1β.
- Biology Area
- Molecular Family
- Cytokine/Chemokine Receptors, Soluble Receptors
- Antigen References
1. Peters VA, et al. 2013. Brain Behav. Immun. 32:1.
2. Boraschi D, et al. 1996. Front Biosci. 1:d270-308.
3. Chizzonite R et al. 1989. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 86:8029.
4. Orlando S, et al. 1997. J. Biol. Chem. 272:31764.
5. Reddy P, et al. 2000. J. Biol. Chem. 275:14608.
6. Cui X, et al. 2003. J. Immunol. 171:6814.
7. Malinowsky D, et al. 1998. FEBS letters 429:299.
8. Neumann D, et al. 2000. J. Immunol. 165:3350.
9. McMahan CJ, et al. 1991. EMBO J. 10:2821.
10. Colotta F, et al. 1993. Science. 261: 472.
11. Colotta F, et al. 1994. J. Biol. Chem. 269:12403.
12. Lang D, et al. 1998. J. Immunol. 161:6871.
13. Sambo P, et al. 1996. Blood. 87:1682.
14. Zheng Y, et al. 2013. Immunity. 38:285.
15. Penton-Rol G, et al. 1999. J. Immunol. 162:2931.
16. Orlando S, et al. 1997. J. Immunol. 158:3861.
17. Garlanda C, et al. 2013. Immunity. 39:1003.
- Gene ID
- 7850 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about IL-1R2-Fc Chimera on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.