- Other Names
- TIMP Metallopeptidase Inhibitor 2, Metalloproteinase Inhibitor 2, Testicular Secretory Protein Li 57
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
TIMPs (tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases) are endogenous inhibitors of MMPs (matrix metalloproteinases). The human TIMPs consist of structurally and functionally distinct N- and C-terminal domains, each of which is stabilized by three disulfide bonds. The N-terminal domain binds to the active site of MMPs, inhibiting their proteolytic activities. The bidentate coordination of the zinc ion in the active site of an MMP by the N-terminal α-amino group and carbonyl group of the Cys residue in the "cysteine switch" motif is a key mechanism of inhibition with MMPs. The C-terminal domain is known to bind the hemopexin-like domain of pro-MMPs. TIMPs are broad-spectrum inhibitors of MMPs, but there are some differences in specificity among them. Human metalloproteinase inhibitor 2 (TIMP-2) expression is regulated by the melanoma oncogene MITF (micropthalmia-associated transcription factor) in melanocytes. Besides inhibitory functions, TIMP-2 also has erythroid potentiating and cell growth promoting activities. Interestingly, TIMP-2-deficient mice demonstrated increased tumor growth, enhanced expression of angiogenic marker αvβ3 in tumor and endothelial cells, and significantly higher serum vascular endothelial growth factor A levels. Tumor-bearing TIMP-2 -/- mice showed a significant number of inflammatory cells in their tumors, upregulation of inflammation mediators, NF-κB, and Annexin A1 as well as higher levels of serum IL-6. TIMP-2 is widely expressed in many mammalian tissues, notably in the reproductive organs. TIMP-2 is able to promote cell proliferation in a wide range of cell types and may also have an anti-apoptotic function. It has anti-angiogenic activity by preventing endothelial cell migration.Product Details
- Mouse TIMP-2, amino acid (Cys27-Pro220) (Accession: # P25785) was expressed in CHO cells. The carboxy terminus contains a GGS-6His tag.
- Molecular Mass
- The 203 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 22.7 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrates at approximately 26 kD and 24 kD by SDS-PAGE respectively. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Cys.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Mouse TIMP-2 inhibits the activity of activated mouse MMP-2 that cleaves the fluorogenic peptide substrate Mca-PLGL-Dpa-AR-NH2. The IC50 = 4 - 20 ng/mL.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
Highly expressed in adult tissues: bladder, lung, mammary gland, ovary, and subcutaneus fat pad
- Morphogenesis, cell migration, angiogenesis, apoptosis, and innate immunity. TIMP-2 and IGF-BP7 are involved in G1 cell cycle arrest in renal tubular cells after ischemia or sepsis. Secreted c-Src tyrosine kinase phosphorylates TIMP-2 at Y90 and enhances its activity.
- Hematopoietic stem, progenitor cells, endothelial cells
- MMP-2, MT1-MMP, integrin α3β1 on endothelial cells
- Mouse TIMP-2 inhibits the activity of activated mouse MMP-2.
- Cell Type
- Endothelial cells, Fibroblasts, Hematopoietic stem and progenitors, Mesenchymal cells, Neurons
- Biology Area
- Angiogenesis, Apoptosis/Tumor Suppressors/Cell Death, Cell Proliferation and Viability, Immuno-Oncology, Immunology, Innate Immunity, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Enzymes and Regulators, Proteases
- Antigen References
- Zucker S, et al. 1998. J Biol Chem. 273:1216.
- Wang Z, et al. 2000. J Biol Chem. 275:26411.
- Morgunova E, et al. 2002. Proc Natl Sci Acad. 99:7414.
- Stetler-Stevenson WG and Seo DW. 2005. Trends Mol Med. 11:97.
- Hoek KS, et al. 2008. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 21:665.
- Bourboulia D and Stetler-Stevenson WG. 2010. Semin Cancer Biol. 20:161.
- Valacca C, et al. 2015. PLoS One. 10(9):e0136797.
- Edelstein CS, 2017 Biomarkers of Kidney Disease, Second Edition.
- Sánchez-Pozo J, et al. 2018. iScience. 1:87-96.
- Gene ID
- 21858 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about TIMP-2 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.