- Other Names
- Angiopoietin-1 receptor, Endothelial tyrosine kinase, HYK, STK1, Tunica interna endothelial cell kinase, Tyrosine kinase with Ig and EGF homology domains-2, Tyrosine-protein kinase receptor, TEK, p140 TEK, CD202b
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
Tie-2, also known as CD202b and TEK, is a member of the receptor tyrosine kinase (RTK) family of proteins. It is expressed in endothelial cells, their progenitor cells, quiescent hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs), and a subpopulation of monocytes. Angiopoietin proteins are identified as the ligands for Tie-2. Angiopoietin-1 (ANGPT-1) is an activator of Tie-2, inducing its autophosphorylation to promote, maintain, and stabilize mature vessels and to maintain HSCs in a quiescent state. The ANGPT-1/Tie-2 system is required for the differentiation, proliferation and survival of endothelial cells during embryogenesis and adult vascular homeostasis. Autophosphorylation of Y1106 on Tie-2 is essential for binding and phosphorylation of the downstream-of-kinase-related (Dok-R) docking protein, in turn to regulate cell migration during sprouting angiogenesis. In addition, phosphorylated Tie-2 also associates with Grb7 adaptor protein and tyrosine phosphatase SHP-2 to regulate cell migration and cell survival. Excess Tie-2 signaling in skin leads to psoriasis, along with epidermal hyperplasia, inflammatory cell recruitment and altered dermal angiogenesis. ANGPT-2 is identified as a natural antagonist for ANGPT-1 and Tie-2. Overexpression of ANGPT-2 resulted in low levels of phosphorylated Tie-2, vascular defect and impaired blood vessel formation. Mouse ANGPT-3 and human ANGPT-4 show distinct distribution patterns. ANGPT-3 and ANGPT-4 function as an antagonist and an agonist of Tie-2, respectively. It has been reported that Tie-2 can phosphorylate Grb7, Grb14 (Growth Factor Receptor Bound) adaptor protein and p85 subunit of PI3 kinase. Vascular endothelial protein-tyrosine phosphatase (VE-PTP, mouse orthologue of human protein tyrosine phosphatase-β, HPTPβ) and human cellular tyrosine phosphatase A (HCPTPA) are regulators that modulate ANGPT/Tie-2 function. Some evidence indicates that Tie-1 dynamically forms a heterodimer with Tie-2 and may inhibit the activation of Tie-2.Product Details
- Human Tie-2, amino acid Ala23-Lys745 (Accession # NM_000459.3) with a C-terminal human IgG Fc tag, was expressed in CHO cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 962 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 107.5 kD. The DTT-reduced proteins migrate at approximately 120 kD, and non-reduced proteins migrate at approximately 230 kD by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Ala.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS, pH 7.2
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- When human Tie-2-Fc Chimera is immobilized at 2.0 µg/mL, human Angiopoietin-2 (Cat. No. 753102) binds with an EC50 of 20 - 80 ng/mL in a functional ELISA.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Disulfide-linked homodimer
Endothelial cells and their progenitors, quiescent hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs), and a subpopulation of monocytes; plasma membrane
- Tyrosine-protein kinase that acts as a cell-surface receptor for ANGPT1, ANGPT2 and ANGPT4 and regulates angiogenesis, endothelial cell survival, proliferation, migration, adhesion and cell spreading, reorganization of the actin cytoskeleton, but also maintenance of vascular quiescence.
- Grb14, Grb7 Grb2, SHP2, p85 subunit of PI3 kinase
- ANGPT-1, ANGPT-2, ANGPT-3, ANGPT-4
- Measured in a binding assay with human Angiopoietin-2.
- Cell Type
- Epithelial cells, Hematopoietic stem and progenitors, Monocytes
- Biology Area
- Angiogenesis, Cell Biology, Immunology
- Molecular Family
- Adhesion Molecules, CD Molecules, Soluble Receptors
- Antigen References
- Davis S, et al. 1996. Cell. 87:1161.
- Maisonpierre PC, et al. 1997. Science. 277:55.
- Teichet-Kuliszewska K, et al. 2001. Cardiovasc Res. 49:659.
- Jones N, et al. 2003. Mol Cell Biol. 23:2658.
- Sturk C, et al. 2010. Cell Commun Signal. 8:30.
- Augustin HG, et al. 2009. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 10:165.
- Reiss Y, et al. 2007. Circ Res. 101:88.
- Voskas D, et al. 2005. Am J Pathol. 166:843.
- Fachinger G, et al. 1999. Oncogene. 18:5948.
- Dumont DJ, et al. 1994. Genes Dev. 8:1897.
- Jones N, et al. 1999. J Biol Chem. 274:30896.
- Jones N, et al. 2001. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2:257.
- Lee HJ, et al. 2004. FASEB J. 18:1200.
- Sato TN, et al. 1995. Nature. 376:70.
- Seegar TCM, et al. 2010. Mol Cell. 37:643.
- Gene ID
- 7010 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Tie-2 on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)