- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- IL22, IL-D110, IL-TIF, ILTIF, MGC79382, MGC79384, TIFIL-23, TIFa, zcyto18
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
IL-22 is a cytokine structurally related to IL-10. It was originally identified in mouse as a gene induced by IL-9 in T cells and mast cells.IL-22 was initially designated as ILTIF (IL-10-related T cell-derived inducible factor). IL-22 belongs to a family of cytokines with limited homology to IL-10, namely IL-10, IL-19, IL-20, IL-24, IL-26, IL-28A, IL-28B and IL-29 (the later three also known as IFN-λ). Human IL-22 shares 79% amino acid identity with mouse IL-22 and 25% identity with human IL-10. IL-22 biological activity is initiated by the binding to a cell surface complex composed of IL-22R1 and IL-10R2 receptor chains and further regulated by interactions with a soluble binding protein, IL-22BP, which share sequence similarity with an extracellular region of IL-22R1 (sIL-22R1). Both chains of the IL-22R complex belong to the class II CRF. Two types of IL-22 binding receptors have been discovered, a membrane-bound receptor and a soluble receptor, both encoded by different genes. IL-22 is produced by immune cells and acts on nonimmune cells to regulate local tissue inflammation. As a product of T helper 17 lineage of CD4 (+) effector lymphocytes, IL-22 plays a critical role in mucosal immunity as well as in deregulated inflammation observed in autoimmune diseases.Product Details
- Human IL-22, amino acids Ala34-Ile179 (Accession # NM_020525) was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 147 amino acid N-terminal methionylated recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of 16,880 Da. The DTT-reduced protein migrates at approximately 15kDa and the non-reduced protein migrates at approximately 14kDa by SDS-PAGE.
- Purity is >98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in 10mM NaH2PO4, 150mM NaCl, pH7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Endotoxin level is <0.1 EU/µg (<0.01ng/µg) protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.) Please note, new lots of the 100 µg size will be lot-specific and may differ from previous lots that had a fixed concentration.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- The ED50 is 0.062-0.177 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of 1.61-0.56 X107 units/mg, as determined by a dose dependent stimulation of human Colo205 cells in production of IL-10.
- Recommended Usage
Use when high specific biological activity is required.
- Application Notes
Ligand Blocking: This IL-22 protein is useful as a ligand-blocking specificity control for immunohistochemical or immunofluorescent staining.
Bioassay: This IL-22 protein is biologically active, and can be used for in vitro assays.
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Dhiman R, et al. 2009. J. Immunol. 183:6639. Pubmed
- Product Citations
- thymic lymphomas, T cells, activated T cells, macrophages, and mast cells
- Enhances the production of acute phase proteins in a hepatocyte cell line, HepG2; Promotes Th17 cells to transmigrate through the blood-brain barrier in multiple sclerosis
- Interacts with a cell surface complex composed of IL-22R1 and IL-10R2 receptor chains which are expressed in epithelial cells of inflammatory diseases such as psoriasis, Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, or allergic asthma
- IL-22R1 and IL-10R2 receptor chains
- IL-22 bioactivity was measured by its ability to induce IL-10 in human Colo205 cells
- Biology Area
- Stem Cells, Immunology, Cell Biology
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
1. Nagalakshmi ML, et al. Intern Immunopharmacol 4:679-691 2004.
2. Kebir H, et al. Nat. Med. 13:1173-1175 2007.
3. Gu Y, et al. Eur. J. Immunol. 38:1807-1813 2008.
4. Pene J, et al. J. Immunol. 180:7423-7430 2008.
5. Dumotier L, et al. J immune 164:1814-1819 2000.
6. Xie MH, et al. J. Biol. Chem. 765:31335-31339 2000.
7. Jones BC, et al. Structure July 2 2008.
8. Kotenko SV, et al. J. Immunol. 166:7096-71033 2001.
9. Chang C, et al. Cell Res 16:902-907 2006.
- Gene ID
- 50616 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about IL-22 on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)