- 2E1.E9 (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Glial fibrillary acid protein
- Mouse IgG2b
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
GFAP is expressed exclusively in astrocytes in the central nervous system. The protein is a member of the intermediate filament family of proteins which form networks providing support and strength to cells. This antibody does not cross-react with other intermediate filaments such as vimentin, neurofilament proteins, desmin and others. More than 50 GFAP mutations have been identified to be associated with the Alexander disease.Product Details
- Human, Mouse, Rat
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Bovine spinal cord homogenate
- This antibody is provided in 50% glycerol in aqueous buffered solutions with preservatives.
- The antibody was purified by affinity chromatography and conjugated with HRP under optimal conditions.
- lot-specific (please contact technical support for concentration and total µg amount)
- Storage & Handling
- Upon receipt, the antibody solution should be stored undiluted at -20°C, and protected from prolonged exposure to light.
WB - Quality tested
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by Western blotting. For Western blotting, the suggested dilution is 1:2,500-1:25,000. The optimal dilution should be determined by titration for each individual assay of interest.
25 µl and 100 µl of Direct-Blot™ HRP antibody can be used for approximately 5 and 20 Western blots, respectively, at the recommended concentration/dilution.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- McLendon RE and Bigner DD. 1994. Brain Pathol. 4:221.
- Liu W, et al. 2011. Proteomics 11:3556. (FC) PubMed
AB_2650857 (BioLegend Cat. No. 644711)
- Around 50 kD
Only expressed in astrocytes in the central nervous system.
- Together with other proteins to form intermediate filaments which supports astroglial cells. Astroglial cells support and nourish cells in the brain and spinal cord. If brain cells are injured through trauma or disease, astroglial cells react by rapidly prodcing more GFAP protein.
- Cell Type
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Cell Markers
- Molecular Family
- Intermediate Filaments
- Gene ID
- 2670 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about GFAP on UniProt.org
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.