- PHF-13 (See other available formats)
- Other Names
- Microtubule-associated protein tau, PHF-tau, paired helical filament-tau, neurofibrillary tangle protein, microtubule-associated protein tau, isoform 4, G protein beta1/gamma2 subunit-interacting factor 1
- Mouse IgG2b
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
Paired helical filaments (PHFs) are the major building blocks of neurofibrillary lesions in Alzheimer's disease brains and are composed of hyperphosphorylated tau protein. Predominantly expressed in axons, alternatively spliced forms of tau comprise a family of microtubule-associated proteins that normally promote and stabilize the assembly of microtubules. PHF-tau differs from normal tau by its abnormal hyperphosphorylation, which results in decreased binding of tau to microtubules. The decreased affinity of PHF-tau for microtubules, coupled with reduced levels of normal tau, destabilizes microtubules leading to an impairment of axonal transport, neuronal death and the aggregation of PHFs. Therefore, hyperphosphorylation of tau is believed to be a key event in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease.Product Details
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- The PHF-13 antibody was raised using PHF-tau preparations from human brain.
- Phosphate-buffered solution, pH 7.2, containing 0.09% sodium azide
- The antibody was purified by affinity chromatography and conjugated with Alexa Fluor® 647 under optimal conditions.
- 0.5 mg/mL
- Storage & Handling
- The antibody solution should be stored undiluted between 2°C and 8°C, and protected from prolonged exposure to light. Do not freeze.
IHC-P - Quality tested
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded immunohistochemical staining. For immunohistochemistry, a concentration range of 0.5 - 10 µg/mL is suggested. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
* Alexa Fluor® 647 has a maximum emission of 668 nm when it is excited at 633 nm / 635 nm.
Alexa Fluor® and Pacific Blue™ are trademarks of Life Technologies Corporation.
View full statement regarding label licenses
- Excitation Laser
Red Laser (633 nm)
- Application Notes
This antibody is effective in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded immunohistochemical staining (IHC-P) and immunoblotting (WB).
The PHF-13 antibody reacts with human tau phosphorylated at Ser 396.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Lasagna-Reeves CA, et al. 2012. FASEB J. (26):1946 (WB) (PUBMED)
- Lauretti E, et al. 2017. Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 4(8): 564 (WB, IHC)
- Li JG, et al. 2017. Sci Rep. (7):46002 (WB, IHC)
- Li JG, et al. 2014. Ann Neurol. 75(6):851 (WB, IHC)
AB_2820133 (BioLegend Cat. No. 829005)
AB_2820134 (BioLegend Cat. No. 829006)
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Neurodegeneration, Neuroscience, Protein Misfolding and Aggregation
- Molecular Family
- Phospho-Proteins, Tau
- Gene ID
- 4137 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Tau Phospho Ser396 on UniProt.org
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.