- MIB-5E9.1 (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Interferon-β, Fibroblast interferon (Fi-IFN, F-IFN), Type-1 interferon, acid-stable interferon, R1-G1 factor, IFN-b, IFN-beta
- Armenian Hamster IgG
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
Interferon-β is a member of the type I interferon class. Type I IFNs are involved in the innate immune system, being released non-specifically during the early stage of infection in response to stimuli such as viruses, dsRNA, LPS, and bacterial components. Once secreted by virus-infected or activated cells, they bind to the IFNα/β receptor (IFNAR), which is found on almost all cell types, and, via the JAK-STAT pathway, induce the expression of hundreds of IFN-stimulated genes (ISGs). While the function of many of these proteins remains to be elucidated, a hallmark of type I IFNs is their anti-viral activities, both general and specific against particular viruses. Type I IFNs also regulate cell growth and apoptosis, and exert various immunomodulatory and inflammatory effects. As such, they are also clinically relevant, both as therapeutics and as targets of inhibition for the treatment of various autoimmune diseases and cancer.
Mouse IFN-β is a ~20 kD monomeric glycoprotein. It has 50% amino acid sequence homology with mouse IFN-α, its closest related protein, and 62% homology with human IFN-β. IFN-β is currently the therapeutic of choice for treating multiple sclerosis.
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Armenian Hamster
- 0.2 µm filtered in phosphate-buffered solution, pH 7.2, containing no preservative. Endotoxin level is <0.01 EU/µg of the protein (<0.001 ng/µg of the protein) as determined by the LAL test.
- The Ultra-LEAF™ (Low Endotoxin, Azide-Free) antibody was purified by affinity chromatography.
- The antibody is bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial, typically between 2 mg/mL and 3 mg/mL. Older lots may have also been bottled at 1 mg/mL. Please contact technical support for concentration and total µg amount, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.
- Storage & Handling
- The antibody solution should be stored undiluted between 2°C and 8°C. This Ultra-LEAF™ solution contains no preservative; handle under aseptic conditions.
WB - Quality tested
Neut - Reported in the literature, not verified in house
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by Western blotting. For Western blotting, the suggested use of this reagent is 1.0 µg per ml. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
- Application Notes
ELISA Detection: To measure mouse IFN-ß, the biotinylated MIB-5E9.1 antibody is useful as the detection antibody in a sandwich ELISA assay, when used in conjunction with the purified Poly5192 antibody (Cat. No. 519202) as the capture antibody and Recombinant Mouse IFN-ß (ELISA Std.) (Cat. No. 581309) as the standard.
Western Blotting: The purified antibody is recommended for Western blotting (Cat. Nos. 508102 & 508104).
Neutralization1: The Ultra-LEAF™ purified antibody (Endotoxin <0.1 EU/µg, Azide-Free, 0.2 µm filtered) is recommended for neutralization of mouse IFN-ß bioactivity (Cat. Nos. 508107 & 508108).
Note: For testing mouse IFN-ß in serum, plasma or cell culture supernatant, BioLegend's ELISA LEGEND MAX™ Kits (Cat. Nos. 439407 & 439408) are specially developed and recommended.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Product Citations
AB_2814437 (BioLegend Cat. No. 508107)
AB_2814438 (BioLegend Cat. No. 508108)
- Interferon; 26-35 kD (Mammalian)
Fibroblasts, epithelial cells
- IFNα/βR (IFNAR-1, IFNAR-2)
- Non-specific humoral immune responses and immune responses against viral infections, increases expression of MHC class I antigens, blocks expression of MHC class II antigens stimulated by IFN-γ
- Cell Targets
- Broad, includes NK cells, T suppressor cells, activated monocytes
- Cell Type
- Epithelial cells, Fibroblasts
- Biology Area
- Apoptosis/Tumor Suppressors/Cell Death, Cell Biology, Signal Transduction
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
1. Nagarajan U. 2011. Crit. Rev. Immunol. 31:459.
2. Honda K, et al. 2005. Int. Immunol. 17:1367.
- Upregulated by viruses, double-stranded RNA, micro-organisms, TNF, IL-1
- Gene ID
- 15977 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about IFN-beta on UniProt.org
- Do you guarantee that your antibodies are totally pathogen free?
BioLegend does not test for pathogens in-house aside from the GoInVivo™ product line. However, upon request, this can be tested on a custom basis with an outside, independent laboratory.
- Does BioLegend test each Ultra-LEAF™ antibody by functional assay?
No, BioLegend does not test Ultra-LEAF™ antibodies by functional assays unless otherwise indicated. Due to the possible complexities and variations of uses of biofunctional antibodies in different assays and because of the large product portfolio, BioLegend does not currently perform functional assays as a routine QC for the antibodies. However, we do provide references in which the antibodies were used for functional assays and we do perform QC to verify the specificity and quality of the antibody based on our strict specification criteria.
- Does BioLegend test each Ultra-LEAF™ antibody for potential pathogens?
No, BioLegend does not test for pathogens in-house unless otherwise indicated. However, we can recommend an outside vendor to perform this testing as needed.
- Have you tested this Ultra-LEAF™ antibody for in vivo or in vitro applications?
We don't test our antibodies for in vivo or in vitro applications unless otherwise indicated. Depending on the product, the TDS may describe literature supporting usage of a particular product for bioassay. It may be best to further consult the literature to find clone specific information.
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.