- Other Names
- Podoplanin, Glycoprotein 38 (GP38) , T1 alpha (T1a), OTS-8, RANDAM-2, Transmembrane glycoprotein E11
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Podoplanin, also termed GP38, is a 38 kD type I transmembrane sialoglycoprotein and a member of the podoplanin family. Mouse and human GP38 share 46% amino acid sequence homology. Alternative splicing transcripts, encoding different isoforms of GP38, have been identified. Structurally, GP38 has a 119 amino acid extracellular domain (ECD), a 21 amino acid transmembrane region, and a 10 amino acid cytoplasmic tail. This type I protein is heavily O-glycosylated and has a diverse distribution in human tissues, including glomerular epithelial cells, lung alveolar cells, lymphatic endothelial cells, and neural tissues. GP38 is also expressed by tumor cells such as testicular seminomas, squamous cell carcinomas, colorectal tumors, and brain tumors. Therefore, this protein is a target of antibody therapy in cancer treatment. GP38 induces platelet aggregation and tumor metastasis through its association with CLEC2. The binding of GP38 and CLEC2 is important for maintaining high endothelial cell venule integrity. Also, GP38 is necessary for lymphatic vessel formation, normal lung cell proliferation, and alveolus formation at birth. In addition, GP38 was shown to be a novel marker for immature hepatic progenitor cells in fetal livers. GP38 is upregulated in Th17 cells in the arthritic joints in SKG mice, suggesting that this protein could be a useful Th17 cell marker for diagnosing pathological conditions of autoimmune diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis.Product Details
- Mouse GP38, amino acids (Gly12-Pro137) (Accession# NP_034459), was expressed in 293E cells with a C-terminal human IgG1-Fc tag.
- Molecular Mass
- This 362 amino acid recombinant protein predicted has a molecular mass of approximately 39.8 kD. The protein migrates at about 60 kD by SDS-PAGE in DTT-reducing conditions and about 130 kD in non-reducing conditions. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Gly.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg of protein as determine by the LAL method.
- 25 µg size is bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size is lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.) Please note, new lots of the 100 µg size will be lot-specific and may differ from previous lots that had a fixed concentration.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Recombinant mouse podoplanin, when coated on a plate (2 µg/ml, 100 µl/well), is able to bind mouse CLEC-2 in a dose dependent manner with an apparent kD <1.0 nM.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
- GP38 is expressed by epithelial cells and numerous tumor cells including colorectal tumors, squamous cell carcinomas, and brain tumors.
- Plays roles in platelet aggregation, lymphatic vessel formation, lung cell proliferation, and tumor metastasis.
- Interacts with platelets through CLEC2.
- Mouse GP38 is able to bind mouse CLEC2.
- Cell Type
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Stem Cells
- Antigen References
1. Farr A, et al. 1992. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 40:651.
2. Konishi S, et al. 2011. In Vitro. Cell. Dev. Biol. Anim. 47:45.
3. Miyamoto Y, et al. 2013. Mol. Immunol. 54:199.
4. Williams MC, et al. 1996. Am. J. Respir. Cell. Mol. Biol. 14:577.
5. Schacht V, et al. 2005. Am. J. Pathol. 166:913.
6. Suzuki-Inoue K, et al. 2007. J. Biol. Chem. 282:25993.
7. Kato Y, et al. 2003. J. Biol. Chem. 278:51599.
8. Mishima K, et al. 2006. Acta Neuropathol. 111:483.
- Gene ID
- 14726 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Podoplanin on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.