- Other Names
- Bone morphogenetic protein 4 (BMP4), Bone morphogenetic protein 2B (BMP-2B)
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
BMP-4 is a member of the bone morphogenetic protein (BMP) family of cytokines, which belong to the transforming growth factor beta (TGF-β) superfamily. BMP-4 plays a crucial function in the chondrogenic and osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells as well as in the maintenance of adult cartilage and bone. Binding of BMP-4 to the BMPR-I/BMPR-II receptor complex was reported to activate several signaling pathways, such as the Smad, the MAPK, the PI3K/Akt, and the Wnt pathways, which are involved in bone formation, cell proliferation, and cell differentiation. Genetic defects in BMP-4 have been associated with microphthalmia and orofacial cleft.Product Details
- Human BMP-4, amino acids (Lys303-Arg408) (Accession# NP_001193.1), was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 106 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 11.9 kD. Recombinant BMP-4 is disulphide bond-linked homodimer. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Lys.
- >98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE gel and HPLC analysis.
- Lyophilized, carrier-free.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 ng per µg of protein.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute in 5 mM HCl, pH 3.0 to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. Do not vortex. It is recommended to further dilute in a buffer, such as 5% Trehalose, and store working aliquots at -20°C to -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 = 5 - 10 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of 1 - 2 x 105 units/mg, as measured by its ability to induce alkaline phosphatase production by ATDC-5 cells in a dose dependent manner.
- Application Notes
This product is reactive with human, mouse, and rat.
- Product Citations
- Growth factor
- BMP-4 is widely expressed.
- BMP-4 is a multifunctional growth factor and is involved in bone formation, tooth development, and fracture repair.
- BMP-4 forms homodiner and interacts with GREM2, HTRA1, HTRA3, SOSTDC1.
- BMP-4 binds to the receptor BMPR-I and BMPR-II.
- Human BMP-4 is able to induce alkaline phosphatase production in ATDC-5 cells.
- Cell Type
- Neural Stem Cells, Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Hematopoietic stem and progenitors, Embryonic Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Stem Cells, Synaptic Biology
- Molecular Family
- Growth Factors, Cytokines/Chemokines
- Antigen References
1. Kishimoto KN, et al. 2013. Biomed. Res. Int. 2013:143742.
2. Kuroda K, et al. 2013. Skelet. Muscle. 3:5.
3. Wei X, et al. 2013. Cell. Prolif. 46:416.
4. Yacqub-Usman K, et al. 2012. Endocrinology. 153:3603.
5. Tan TW, et al. 2012. J. Cell Physiol. 227:2531.
6. Labeur M, et al. 2010. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 326:85.
- Gene ID
- 652 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about BMP-4 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.