- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Mesothelin, CAK1, and MSLN Pre-coated ELISA Kit
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
The 10- and 20-plate sizes of this assay have been discontinued. The assay will remain available for purchase under the 5-plate catalog number, but will no longer include ELISA microwell plates. Recommended microwell plates can be purchased separately under Cat. No. 423501. Please contact your BioLegend sales representative for bulk pricing quotations.
Human mesothelin, also known as CAK1 and MSLN, is a cell-surface protein expressed on normal mesothelial cells lining the pleura, pericardium, and peritoneum.
It is expressed as a 70 kD pre-cursor protein with a furin cleavage site, which produces two products: 1) megakaryocyte potentiating factor (MPF) (30 kD); and 2) mesothelin (40 kD). MPF is a cytokine which is released. Mesothelin, for the most part, is membrane-bound by a glycosyl-phosphatidyl inositol linkage and has three glycosylation sites. Soluble mesothelin is believed to result from proteolytic cleavage to release it from the membrane linkage or from alternative splicing of the mesothelin gene.
The normal function of mesothelin is not known. Mice knockouts produced no obvious phenotypes with normal growth and reproductive parameters.
However mesothelin is overexpressed by cancer cells, particularly in mesotheliomas, ovarian adenocarcinomas, pancreatic adenocarcinomas, squamous cell carcinomas, and lung cancers. It binds to MUC16/CA-125, a cell surface mucin and ovarian cancer biomarker, and has been speculated to be involved in peritoneal dissemination of ovarian cancer cells. Mesothelin has also been shown to be elevated in the serum of cancer patients compared to normal. As such, it has become the focus of cancer research in the areas of diagnostics, immunotherapy, and cancer vaccinology. For example, SS1P is a recombinant immunotoxin that targets mesothelin-expressing cancer cells. Its anti-mesothelin Fv domain confers specificity, while its Pseudomonas exotoxin domain results in cell death. This potential drug has already finished stage I clinical trials.
Both the ELISA Max™ Set Standard and ELISA Max™ Set Deluxe are specifically engineered for accurate recovery and measurement of analytes in complex fluids, such as serum and plasma (as well as activated cell cultures) without any interference by confounding serum factors, such as heterophilic antibody or rheumatoid factor.
- Kit Contents
- Human Mesothelin ELISA MAX™ Capture Antibody (200X)
- Human Mesothelin ELISA MAX™ Detection Antibody (200X)
- Human Mesothelin Standard
- Avidin-HRP (1000X)
- Substrate Solution A
- Substrate Solution B
- Coating Buffer B (5X)
- Assay Diluent A (5X)
- As a part of BioLegend's efforts to go green, each new lot of the ELISA MAX™ sets will include a summarized version of its manual. Click here for more information.
- Product Citations
- 35.1 pg/ml
- Standard Range
- 78.1-5,000 pg/mL
- Materials Not Included
- Microwell plates: 96-well Nunc MaxiSorp™ is recommended.
- A microplate reader capable of measuring absorbance at 450 nm
- Adjustable pipettes to measure volumes ranging from 2 µL to 1 mL
- Deionized (DI) water
- PBS (Phosphate-Buffered Saline): 8.0 g NaCl, 1.16 g Na2HPO4, 0.2 g KH2PO4, 0.2 g KCl, add deionized water to 1 L; pH to 7.4, 0.2 µm filtered.
- Wash Buffer (Phosphate-Buffered Saline (PBS) + 0.05% Tween-20, pH=7.4). BioLegend Cat. No. 421601 is recommended.
- Wash bottle or automated microplate washer
- Stop Solution (e.g. 2N H2SO4) Biolegend Cat. No. 423001 is recommended
- Log-Log graph paper or software for data analysis
- Tubes to prepare standard dilutions
- Plate Sealer
- Absorbent paper
- Do the ELISA MAX™ Deluxe Sets come with plates?
No, ELISA MAX™ Deluxe Sets do not come with plates. Coating Buffer and Assay Diluent (for blocking and dilutions) are included in these sets. Plates can be ordered separately (Cat No. 423501), and instructions for coating the plates are in the sets’ product manuals.