- SMI 38 (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Neurofilament heavy polypeptide, NF-H, 200 kD neurofilament protein, neurofilament triplet H protein
Covance Catalog# SMI-38R
- Mouse IgG1, κ
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
Neurofilaments (NFs) are ~10 nanometer, type IV intermediate filaments expressed in neurons. NFs are the major components of the neuronal cytoskeleton, and primarily function to provide structural support for axons and regulate axonal diameter. There are three major mammalian neurofilament subunits, which are named based on their apparent molecular weight: 1) neurofilament light (NF-L, ~70 kD), 2) neurofilament medium (NF-M, ~145-160 kD), and 3) neurofilament heavy (NF-H, ~200-220 kD). Neurofilaments are extensively phosphorylated, and their phosphorylation status plays an important role in modulation of their function. Abnormal NF modifications, mutations, and accumulation have been associated with neurodegenerative diseases. NF immunostaining is commonly used as a diagnostic marker for neuropathology detection. NFs are also useful for differentiating neurons (positive for NF) from glia (negative for NF).Product Details
- Human, Mouse, Rat
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Ascites Fluid (contains 0.01M sodium azide).
- The concentration is not quantified as this product is sold as undiluted crude mouse ascites fluid. The concentration might vary from lot-to-lot and an estimated concentration would be 1-3 mg/ml.
- Storage & Handling
- Store at -20°C. Upon initial thawing, apportion into working aliquots and store at -20°C. Avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles to prevent denaturing the antibody. For long-term storage, keep the antibody at -80°C.
IHC-P - Quality tested
WB - Verified
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded immunohistochemical staining. For immunohistochemistry, a dilution range of 1/1000 - 1/2000 is suggested. For Western blotting, the suggested use of this reagent is 1/1000 - 1/2000 per ml. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
- Application Notes
SMI 38 reacts with a non phosphorylated epitope in neurofilament H of most mammalian species. Immunocytochemically, SMI 38 visualizes some neuronal cell bodies, dendrites and some thick axons in the central and peripheral nervous systems. Other cells and tissues are unreactive.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Petzold A, et al. 2011. Brain 134:464. (WB) PubMed
- Product Citations
AB_2565354 (BioLegend Cat. No. 835901)
- Neurofilament H has an apparent molecular mass of 200-220 kD
Tissue distribution: CNS, peripheral nerves and glandular cells of prostate.
Cellular distribution: cytoskeleton, nucleus, cytosol, and mitochondrion.
- Neurofilaments are the major components of the neuronal cytoskeleton. They provide axonal support and regulate axon diameter.
- Cell Type
- Mature Neurons
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Cell Markers
- Molecular Family
- Intermediate Filaments
- Gene ID
- 4744 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Neurofilament H NF-H Phospho on UniProt.org
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.