- Other Names
- interleukin 1, alpha, IL-1A, IL1F1
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
IL-1 was isolated from human blood that had been exposed to a pathogenic bacterium. IL-1 is a pyrogen, and it is an activating factor for lymphocytes. It also damaged joints and influenced liver proteins (2). IL-1α binds to the cell surface type I and II IL-1 receptors (IL-1RI and IL-1RII). IL-1 and -β and IL-1RA can compete for binding to these receptors. However, only IL-1RI, not IL-1RII, is functional because IL-1RII lacks a cytoplasmic domain and is thus unable to transmit signals to downstream steps (3). IL-1α is expressed by cancer cells and promotes angiogenesis and metastasis of pancreatic cancer and human gastric cancer cell lines (4). In addition, IL-1 induced the expression of VEGF in colon cancer (5).Product Details
- Human IL-1α, amino acids Ser113-Ala271 (Accession # X03833) was expressed in E. coli, approximately 18 kD
- Lyophilized in sterile-filtered PBS, pH 7.2, containing 1% BSA, 0.09% sodium azide, and protease inhibitors.
- ELISA Standard 4-Pack contains four vials of recombinant human IL-1a at >5 ng per vial. Recommended for ELISA application only. Standards are calibrated against a BioLegend Master Calibrator.
- Storage & Handling
- Upon receipt, store unopened vials between 2°C and 8°C immediately and use within 12 months from date of receipt. Prior to use, reconstitute the lyophilized powder with 0.2 ml of PBS containing a carrier protein (e.g., 1% BSA, protease free), pH7.4. Re-cap vial, vortex. Allow the reconstituted standard to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, vortex again to mix completely. The reconstituted standard stock solution can be aliquoted into polypropylene vials and stored at -70°C for up to one month. Do not re-use diluted standards. Use a manual defrost freezer and avoid repeated freeze thaw cycles.
- Application Notes
This IL-1α protein is useful as a standard for a human IL-1α sandwich ELISA, using unlabeled 364-3B3-14 antibody (catalog #500104) for capture and biotinylated Poly5313 antibody (catalog #531304) for detection.
IL-1α is produced by monocytes, macrophages, keratinocytes, stimulated B lymphocytes, fibroblasts, endothelial cells, and epithelial cells.
- The cytokine IL-1α is a key molecule both in the innate and in the adaptive immune response. IL-1α induces autonomous proliferation in vascular smooth muscle cells, T cell activation during Ag presentation, up-regulation of monocyte/macrophage-mediated tumor cytotoxicity, stimulation of osteoclast formation, and production of proteinases in human chondrocytes (1).
- Type I and II IL-1 receptors (IL-1RI and IL-1RII)
- Biology Area
- Stem Cells, Immunology, Cell Biology
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
1. Yatabe T, et al. 2008. Ann Rheum Dis
2. Ledford H, et al. 2007. Nature 450
3. Boraschi B Tagliabue A, et al. 2006. Vitam Horm 74:229
4. Shao J and Sheng H, et al. 2007. J. Immunol. 178:4097
5. Elaraj DM, et al. 2006. Clin Cancer Res 12:1088
- Gene ID
- 3552 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about IL-1alpha on UniProt.org