- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Interleukin-17A (IL-17A), Cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated antigen 8, cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated serine esterase 8 (CTLA-8)
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
IL-17A was initially identified from a subtracted cDNA library between closely related murine lymphoid cells and called CTLA-8, It also shares 58% homology with an open reading frame of the T-lymphotropic Herpesvirus Samirii virus (viral IL-17). IL-17A belongs to a family of cytokines, which has six members; designated IL-17A-F. IL-17 is expressed by a unique lineage of CD4+ T cells (Th17) that develop in response to IL-23, in particular under conditions in which Th1 and Th2 development are suppressed. IL-17A shares the greatest homology (55%) with IL-17F. Both IL-17A and IL-17F are produced by Th17 cells. IL-17A and IL-17F can either exist as IL-17A homodimers and IL-17F homodimers or as IL-17A-IL-17F heterodimers. IL-17 is a key mediator of autoimmune disorders, including rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, inflammatory bowel disease, and asthma, and plays a role in host defense.Product Details
- Human IL-17A, amino acids Ile20-Ala155 (Accession# NM_002190), was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 137 amino acid N-terminal methionylated recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of 15.7 kD. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Met. This protein exists as a disulfide-linked homodimer.
- >98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE and HPLC analysis.
- Lyophilized, carrier-free.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 ng per µg of protein.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute in water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. Do not vortex. It is recommended to further dilute in a buffer, such as 5% Trehalose, and store working aliquots at -20°C to -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 is ≤ 2.0 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of ≥ 5.0 x 105 units/mg as determined by the dose-dependent induction of IL-6 in primary human foreskin fibroblasts.
- IL-17A is largely produced by activated memory T cells, CD4+ T helper cells (Th17), neutrophils, CD8+, NK cells, and γδ T cells.
- IL-17A is a potent regulator of granulopoiesis and neutrophil recruitment under normal and inflammatory conditions. Organ overexpression of IL-17A increases circulating neutrophil numbers and recruitment into the organs by induction of CXCL2, IL-1β, and G-CSF. IL-17A induces CXCL1, CXCL2, CXCL5, and CXCL8 in human epithelial cells. IL-17A also cooperates with TLR ligands, IL-1β, and TNF-α to enhance inflammatory reactions and stimulate production of beta-defensins and other anti-microbial peptides.
- IL-17RA is expressed in epithelial cells, fibroblasts, B and T cells, myelomonocytic cells, and marrow stromal cells. Synovial endothelial cells and chondrocytes from arthritic patients express IL-17R.
- IL-17A signals through a heteromeric receptor composed of IL-17RA and IL-17RC.
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Immunology, Neuroinflammation, Neuroscience
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
1. Yu J, et al. 2008. Front. Biosci. 13:170.
2. Toy D, et al. 2006. J. Immunol. 177:36.
3. Benghiat FS, et al. 2009. Transplant Rev. 23:11
4. Honorati MC, et al. 2001. Rheumatology 40:522.
5. Rouvier E, et al. 1993. J. Immunol. 150:5445.
6. Liang SC, et al. 2007. J. Immunol. 179:7791.
7. Ouyang W, et al. 2008. Immunity 28:454.
- Gene ID
- 3605 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about IL-17A on UniProt.org
Related Pages & Pathways
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)