- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Bone morphogenetic protein 6, VGR1
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
Bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) belong to the transforming growth factor beta (TGF-β) superfamily. BMPs play a key role in embryonic development, especially during heart, neural, and cartilage development. Around 20 BMP family members have been identified and characterized. BMPs signal through serine/threonine kinase receptors, composed of type I and II subtypes. Four type I receptors have been identified: type IA and IB BMP receptors, type IA activin receptor, and activin receptor-like kinase I (ALK-1). Three type II receptors have also been recognized: type II BMP receptor and type II and IIB activin receptors. Human recombinant BMP-6 can restore bone in animal models of osteoporosis. BMP-6 induces bone formation through IGF-I and EGF pathways in a murine model of osteopenia and in human osteoblasts. BMP-6 has been reported to have an antiproliferative effect on B, T cells, and macrophages. Also, BMP-6 induced expression of pro-inflammatory inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), TNF-α and IL-1β in macrophages. In addition, BMP-6 is a key endogenous regulator of hepcidin expression and iron metabolism in vivo. In fact, BMP-6 null mice have a phenotype that resembles mouse models of juvenile hemochromatosis (an iron overload disorder caused by mutations in the genes encoding the major iron regulatory hormone hepcidin and hemojuvelin).Product Details
- Human BMP-6, amino acids (Val344-His460) (Accession# BC099625), was expressed in HEK 293 cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 117 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 13 kD. Recombinant human BMP-6 is a 26.2 kD homodimeric glycoprotein. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Val.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE and HPLC analysis.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 ng per µg of protein.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute in water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. Do not vortex. It is recommended to further dilute in a buffer containing a carrier protein such as 0.1% BSA and store working aliquots at -20°C to -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- BMP-6 induces alkaline phosphatase production on ATDC-5 cells. The ED50 = 0.03 - 0.06 µg/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of 1.6 - 3.3 x 104 unit/mg.
- Product Citations
- Growth factor, Homodimer
- Osteoblast differentiation, bone regeneration. Antiproliferative effect on B, T cells, and macrophages. BMP-6 regulates hepcidin expression and iron metabolism in vivo.
- BMP receptors Alk-2 and Alk-3 (type I), BMPRII (type II)
- Cell Type
- Embryonic Stem Cells, Hematopoietic stem and progenitors, Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Neural Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Angiogenesis, Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Stem Cells, Synaptic Biology
- Molecular Family
- Cytokines/Chemokines, Growth Factors
- Antigen References
1. Chen D, et al. 2004. Growth Factors 22:233.
2. Grasser WA, et al. 2007. Int. Orthop. 31:759.
3. Sivertsen EA, et al. 2007. Eur. J. Immunol. 37:2937.
4. Andriopoulos B, et al. 2009. Nat. Genetics 41:482.
5. Hong JH, et al. 2009. Immunology 128:e442.
6. Lee GT, et al. 2011. Mol. Immunol. 48:1540.
- Gene ID
- 654 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about BMP-6 on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)