- 12F4 (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- AAA, ABETA, ABPP, AD1, APPI, CTFgamma, CVAP, PN-II, PN2, Amyloid beta A4 protein, preA4, protease nexin-II, peptidase nexin-II, beta-amyloid peptide, alzheimer disease amyloid protein, cerebral vascular amyloid peptide, APP, Amyloid Precursor Protein
Signet Catalog# 9147-02
Covance Catalog# SIG-39147
- Mouse IgG1, κ
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
Amyloid beta (Aβ or Amyloid beta) denotes peptides of 36-43 amino acids in length that are crucially involved in Alzheimer's disease as the main component of the amyloid plaques found in the brains of Alzheimer patients. The peptides result from the amyloid precursor protein (APP), which is cut by certain enzymes to yield Aβ. Aβ molecules can aggregate to form oligomers (known as "seeds") which are believed to be able to induce other Aβ molecules to also take the misfolded oligomeric form, leading to a chain reaction akin to a prion infection. The seeds or the resulting amyloid plaques are toxic to nerve cells. The other protein implicated in Alzheimer's disease, tau protein, also forms such prion-like misfolded oligomers, and there is some evidence that misfolded Aβ can induce tau to misfold.Product Details
- Verified Reactivity
- Human, Mouse, Rat
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Aqueous buffered solution containing a carrier protein and preservatives.
- The antibody was purified by affinity chromatography.
- 0.5 mg/ml
- Storage & Handling
- Store between 2°C and 8°C.
IHC-P - Quality tested
WB - Verified
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded immunohistochemical staining. For immunohistochemistry, a concentration range of 5.0 - 10 µg/ml is suggested. For Western blotting, the suggested use of this reagent is 1.0 - 10 µg per ml. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
- Application Notes
This antibody is effective in ELISA, Immunoblotting (WB) and Immunohistochemistry on frozen and formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissues (IHC-P, IHC-F).
Reactive to the c-terminus of beta amyloid and specific for the isoform ending at the 42nd amino acid.
Additional reported applications (for the relevant formats) includes: immunohistochemical staining of paraformaldehyde-fixed frozen sections6 and ELISA3,4,5.
- Application References
- Helwig M, et al. 2013. J. Biol. Chem. 288:1114. (IHC-P)
- Takami M, et al.2009. J. Neurosci.; 29: 13042. (IHC-P)
- Cenini G, et al. 2012. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1822(2):130. (ELISA) PubMed
- Sundaram RK, et al. 2012. Int. J. Pept. Res. Ther. 18(2):99. (ELISA) PubMed
- Savage MJ, et al. 2014. J. Neurosci. 8:2884. (ELISA) PubMed
- Mastrangelo MA, Bowers WJ. 2008. BMC Neurosci. 9:81. (IHC-F) PubMed
- Product Citations
AB_2564980 (BioLegend Cat. No. 805507)
- Amyloid precursor protein is a 770 amino acid protein with a molecular mass of ~100 kD. According to the UniProtKB database, APP (ID# P05067) has 11 isoforms (34 to ~90 kD) and the 770 form has been designated as the canonical form. Isoform APP695 is the predominant form expressed in neuronal tissue. Isoforms APP751 and APP770 are widely expressed in non-neuronal cells. Isoform APP751 is the most abundant form in T-lymphocytes. Aβ denotes peptides of 36-43 amino acids generated from cleavage of APP by secretases. Aβ has an apparent molecular mass of about 4 kD.
Tissue sources: Primarily nervous system, but also adipose tissue, intestine, muscle.
Distribution: cytosol, endosomes, nucleus, plasma membrane, extracellular, and golgi apparatus.
- The normal function of Aβ is not well understood. Several potential physiological roles have been proposed, including: activation of kinase enzymes; protection against oxidative stress; regulation of cholesterol transport; transcription factor, and as an anti-microbial agent.
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Neurodegeneration, Neuroscience, Protein Misfolding and Aggregation
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
- Kumar A, et al. 2015. Pharmacol. Rep. 67(2):195.
- Sadigh-Eteghad S, et al. 2015. Med. Princ. Pract. 24(1):1
- Hampel H, et al. 2015. Expert Rev. Neurother. 15(1):83.
- Puig KL, et al. 2012. Exp. Gerontol. 48(7): 608.
- Selkoe DJ, et al. 2016. EMBO Mol. Med. 8(6):595.
- Walsh DM, et al. 2007. J. Neurochem. 101(5):1172.
- Gene ID
- 351 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about beta-Amyloid 1-42 on UniProt.org
|Biotin anti-β-Amyloid, 1-42||12F4||IHC-P, Direct ELISA|
|HRP anti-β-Amyloid, 1-42||12F4||IHC-P, WB|
|Purified anti-β-Amyloid, 1-42||12F4||IHC-P, Direct ELISA, WB, IHC-F|
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.