- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- B cell growth factor 1 (BCGF-1), B-cell stimulatory factor 1 (BSF-1), B cell growth factor 1, interleukin-4, lymphocyte stimulatory factor 1.
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
L-4 is the primary cytokine implicated in the development of Th2-mediated responses, which is associated with allergy and asthma. The Type I receptor comprises IL-4Rα and the common gamma-chain (γc), which is also shared by the cytokines IL-2, -7, -9, -15 and -21 and is present in hematopoietic cells. IL-4 can use the type II complex, comprising IL-4Rα and IL-13Rα1, which is present in non-hematopoietic cells. This second receptor complex is a functional receptor for IL-13, which shares approximately 25% homology with IL-4. The type I receptor complex can be formed only by IL-4 and is active in Th2 development. In contrast, the type II receptor complex formed by either IL-4 or IL-13 is more active during airway hypersensitivity and mucus secretion and is not found in T cells.Product Details
- Porcine IL-4, amino acid Met - (His25 – Cis133) (Accession #Q04745) was expressed in E.coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 110 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 12.6 kD. The predicted N-terminal amino acid isMet.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- Lyophilize from sterile 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 1 EU per µg protein as determined by the LAL method.
- Lyophilized recombinant protein is at 5 and 20 µg total protein
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for one month, at -20°C for six months, or at -70°C for one year. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute the protein in sterile water at 0.1 mg/mL. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C to -70°C. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in sterile buffer (PBS, HPBS, DPBS, or EBSS) containing carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA and stored in working aliquots at -20°C to -70°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Porcine IL-4 induces the proliferation of human TF-1 cells in a dose-dependent manner. The ED50 for this effect is 0.2– 1 ng/mL.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in lliophylized format are shipped on blue ice.
IL-4 is produced by Th2 cells, naive CD4+ T cells, NKT cells, and basophils.
- IL-4 has a crucial role in the differentiation of Th2 cells and induction of Th2 associated cytokines. IL-4, through its activation of STAT6, upregulates GATA3 expression and also suppresses Th1 and Th17 cell responses, partly through the upregulation of growth factor independent 1(GFI1), a transcriptional repressor of IFNγ and IL-17 production. IL-4 induces macrophage activation and TSLP production. IL-4 recruits and activates IgE-producing B cells (IgE class switching) and enhances IgE-mediated responses by up-regulating IgE receptors on B lymphocytes, mast cells, and basophils. In addition, IL-4 also induces VCAM-1 on vascular endothelium and thus directs the migration of T lymphocytes, monocytes, basophils, and eosinophils to the inflammation site.
- T cells, B cells, macrophages, epithelial cells, smooth muscle cells, and bronchial fibroblasts.
- IL-4 signals through Type I receptor complex (IL-4Rα, γc) and Type II receptor complex (IL-4Rα, IL-13Rα1
- IL-4 signals through Type I (IL-4Rα, γc) and Type II (IL-4Rα, IL-13Rα1) receptor complexes
- Cell Type
- Hematopoietic stem and progenitors, Embryonic Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Immunology, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
- Swain SL, et al. 1990. J. Immunol. 145:3796.
- Hsieh CS, et al. 1992. P. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89:6065.
- Allison-Lynn A, et al. 2006. J. Immunol. 176:7456.
- Kato A, et al. 2007. J. Immunol. 179:1080.
- LaPorte SL, et al. 2008. Cell 132:259.
- Martinez FO, et al. 2009. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 27:451.
- Gene ID
- 397225 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about IL-4 on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10^6/ ED50 (ng/mL)