- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- PSEL, Selectin P, GMP140, LECAM3, Antigen CD62, PADGEM
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
P-Selectin is an adhesion molecule that belongs to the selectin/LECAM (Leukocyte-Endothelial Cell Adhesion Molecule) family. P-Selectin consists of one Lectin domain and several EGF-like repeats, which are followed by a transmembrane region and a short cytoplasmic tail of 35 amino acids. P-Selectin is expressed in endothelial cells and megakaryocytes. In unstimulated cells, P-Selectin is synthesized and stored in the alpha-granules of platelets and the Weibel-Palade bodies of endothelial cells. Upon activation or exposure of stimuli, such as thrombin and histamine, P-Selectin is rapidly translocated to the cell membrane within minutes and then is recycled back via endocytosis. Inflammatory stimuli, including TNF-α and endotoxins, can induce P-Selectin expression at the transcriptional and protein levels in mouse endothelial cells, but not in HUVEC. IL-4 and oncostatin M can induce P Selectin expression in HUVEC cells. Surface P Selectin binds to its ligand, PSGL-1, which is a glycoprotein that is expressed in neutrophils, monocytes, and dendritic cells. Its interaction initiates cell contact and selectin-mediated leukocyte rolling on the endothelial cells’ surfaces. In addition, some evidence has shown that P-Selectin contributes to cancer metastasis. P-Selectin plays a key role in thrombosis and is an early marker of thromboembolism in COVID-19.Product Details
- Human P-Selectin-Fc, amino acid (Trp42-Pro509) (Accession: P16109), with a C-terminal human IgG1 (Pro100-Lys330) was expressed in 293E cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 707 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 78.9 kD. The protein migrates at approximately 100 kD and 200 kD by SDS-PAGE in DTT-reduced and non-reduced conditions, respectively. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Trp.
- > 95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS, 0.3M NaCl, pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method
- 25 µg size is bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2ᵒC and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Immobilized human P-Selectin supports the adhesion of U937 cells in a dose-dependent manner. The ED50 for this effect is 0.4 – 2.0 µg/mL.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are validated in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
Platelets, endothelial cells
- P-Selectin mediates leukocyte binding to endothelial cells during inflammatory responses.
- P-Selectin glycoprotein ligand-1 (PSGL-1), SNX17, and PODXL2.
- Human P-Selectin supports the adhesion of U937 cells in a dose-dependent manner.
- Cell Type
- Endothelial cells, Platelets
- Biology Area
- Angiogenesis, Cardiovascular Biology, Cell Adhesion, Cell Biology, Immuno-Oncology, Immunology
- Molecular Family
- Adhesion Molecules, CD Molecules, Soluble Receptors
- Antigen References
- Vestweber D and Blanks JE. 1999. Physiol. Rev. 79:181-213.
- Ryan US and Worthington RE. 1992. Curr Opin Immunol. 4:33-7.
- McEver RP, et al. 1989. J Clin Invest. 84:92-9.
- Stenberg PE, et al. 1985. J Cell Biol. 101:880-6.
- Hattori R, et al. 1989. J Biol Chem. 264:7768-71.
- Hahne M, et al. 1993. J Cell Biol. 121:655-64.
- Pan J, et al. 1998. J Biol Chem. 273:10058-67.
- Borsig L, et al. 2001. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 99:2193-8.
- Bendas G and Borsig L. 2012. Int J Cell Biol. 2012:676731.
- Xia L, et al. 2003. Blood. 101:552-9.
- Yao L, et al. 1996. J Exp Med. 184:81-92.
- Fenyves BG, et al. 2021. Am J Hematol. 96:E468-E471.
- Gene ID
- 6403 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about P-Selectin on UniProt.org
Related Pages & Pathways
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)