- 2D2 (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- BCL2 associated X protein, apoptosis regulator Bax
- Mouse IgG1, κ
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
Bax is a 21 kD pro-apoptotic protein known to regulate apoptosis. Bax is found in the cytoplasm, mitochondria, and nucleus and is highly expressed in hematopoietic stem cells, ovaries, and lymph nodes. Bax binds the anti-apoptotic protein Bcl-2 as a heterodimer or forms homodimers. The relative levels of pro-apoptotic proteins such as Bax and anti-apoptotic proteins such as Bcl-2 determines whether cell death will occur following an apoptotic stimulus. Bax accelerates the opening of mitochondrial VDAC altering membrane potential and allowing cytochrome c to pass out of the mitochondria into the cytosol to initiate downstream caspase activation. p53 can transcriptionally activate the Bax gene to induce apoptosis. Bax has been shown to be mutated in some human cancers.Product Details
- Verified Reactivity
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Amino acids 3-16 of human Bax protein
- This antibody is provided in phosphate-buffered solution, pH 7.2, containing 0.09% sodium azide at 0.5 mg/ml.
- The antibody was purified by affinity chromatography.
- 0.5 mg/ml
- Storage & Handling
- Upon receipt, store undiluted at between 2°C and 8°C.
WB - Quality tested
IP, IHC-P, ICC - Reported in the literature, not verified in house
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by Western blotting. For Western blotting, suggested working dilution(s): Use 5 µg per 5 ml antibody dilution buffer for each mini-gel. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
- Application Notes
Clone 2D2 has been shown to be useful for Western blotting1, immunoprecipitation2, immunofluorescence3 and immunohistochemical staining3 of formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded tissue sections. This antibody does not cross-react with Bcl-2 or Bcl-XL proteins.
Clone 2D2 does not show specificity for mouse BAX.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Hsu YT, et al. 1997. J. Biol. Chem. 272:13829. (WB)
- Cartron PF, et al. 2004. FEBS Lett. 578:41. (IP)
- Pucci S, et al. 2009. Cell Cycle 8:473. (IF, IHC)
- Product Citations
AB_961011 (BioLegend Cat. No. 633601)
AB_2061544 (BioLegend Cat. No. 633602)
- Forms homodimers and heterodimers with Bcl-2, approximately 21 kD
Cytoplasm, mitochondria, nucleus; expressed in hematopoietic stem cells, ovaries, lymph nodes
- Induces cell death through the process of apoptosis by acting on mitochondria
- 14-3-3 theta, VDAC1, Bcl-2, solute carrier family 25, mitochondrial carrier member 4
- Cell Type
- Hematopoietic stem and progenitors
- Biology Area
- Apoptosis/Tumor Suppressors/Cell Death, Cell Biology, Immunology
- Antigen References
1. LeBlanc H, et al. 2002. Nat. Med. 8:274.
2. Marzo I, et al. 1998. Science 281:2027.
3. Miyashita T et al. 1995. Cell 80:293.
4. Oltvai ZN, et al. 1993. Cell 74:609.
- Gene ID
- 581 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Bax on UniProt.org
|Purified anti-Bax||2D2||WB, IP, IHC-P, ICC|
|Alexa Fluor® 488 anti-Bax||2D2||ICFC|
Customers Also Purchased
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.