- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Platelet-Derived Growth Factor-AA, Glioma-derived growth factor, GDGF, Osteosarcoma-derived Growth Factor, ODGF
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
Platelet-derived growth factors (PDGFs) are homo- or heterodimers of four polypeptides, known as A, B, C and D chains. PDGFs usually act primarily in paracrine manner and may be engaged in autocrine loops in tumors. Five PDGF isoforms (AA, BB, AB, CC and DD) have been identified. PDGFs are primarily synthesized, stored, and released by platelets upon activation. PDGF-A and PDGF-B undergo intracellular activation during transport in the exocytic pathway and PDGF-C and PDGF-B are activated by extracellular proteases. Like PDGF-B, intracellular activation of PDGF-A, by removing the N-terminal sequence, is required for PDGF-A to bind to its receptor. PDGF-A can also be expressed by epithelial cells, smooth muscle cells, and neuronal progenitors. PDGF-AA is well known as a potent mitogen for the proliferation of oligodendrocyte progenitor cells (OPCs). PDGF-AA can promote embryonic forebrain neural stem cells into O4-positive oligodendrocytes by activating Erk pathway. PDGF-AA also plays an important role in directing cell migration during embryonic development and postnatal migration response including wound healing. Chemotaxis ability of PDGF-AA has been shown on fibroblasts, smooth muscle cells, monocytes, and granulocytes.Product Details
- Human PDGF-AA, amino acids Ser87-Thr211 (Accession# P04085), was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 125 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 14.3 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrates at approximately 15 and 31 kD respectively by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Ser.
- > 98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in 4mM HCl.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per μg protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial. To obtain lot-specific concentration, please enter the lot number in our Concentration and Expiration Lookup or Certificate of Analysis online tools.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 = 15 - 60 ng/mL as measured by the ability of protein to induce proliferation of NIH3T3 mouse embryonic fibroblast cells. Deep Blue Cell Vialibity Kit™ (Cat. No. 424702) was used to quantitate cell proliferation.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
Platelets produce PDGF-AA. Other cells, including epithelial cells, smooth muscle cells, and neuronal progenitors, can also produce PDGF-AA.
- PDGF-A has two isoforms due to alternative splicing which is cell type-specific and is different among organs and tumor cell lines. Expression of PDGF-A can be increased in human uterine smooth muscle cells during the physiological hypertrophy. Expression of PDGF-A can be repressed by glucocorticoid treatment of smooth muscle cells and aging of human fibroblasts.
- Smooth muscle cells, connective tissue cells, bone and cartilage cells, and oligodendrocyte cells.
- Measured by the ability of protein to induce proliferation of NIH3T3 mouse embryonic fibroblast cells.
- Cell Type
- Neural Stem Cells, Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Hematopoietic stem and progenitors
- Biology Area
- Angiogenesis, Cell Biology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Cell Markers, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Cytokines/Chemokines, Growth Factors
- Gene ID
- 5154 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about PDGF-AA on UniProt.org
Related Pages & Pathways
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)