- Other Names
- CD116, CSFR2, GMCSFR subunit alpha
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
|594106||100 µg||425 CHF|
|594108||500 µg||1'400 CHF|
GM-CSF, IL-3, and IL-5 regulate the production and functional activation of hematopoietic cells. The effects of GM-CSF are mediated by heterologous receptors composed of a cytokine-binding GM-CSFR α chain (GM-CSFRα) and a nonbinding affinity-enhancing (GM-CSF-Rβ) subunit. The beta subunit is shared by IL-3 and IL-5 receptors. The alpha subunit binds the cytokine with low affinity (kD = 0.2 - 100 nM) but in the presence of the beta subunit, it changes to high affinity (kD = 100 pM). The crystal structure of the human GM-CSF/GM-CSF receptor ternary complex showed an unusual assembly of a dodecamer complex. A soluble form of GM-CSFRα was cloned from chorio-carcinoma cells; this form contains a 97-nucleotide internal deletion, and the resulting protein lacks 84 C-terminal amino acids (including the transmembrane and cytoplasmic domains) and contains 16 different amino acids at its carboxy terminus. The soluble receptor retains its ability to bind GM-CSF in solution and antagonizes GM-CSF activity in vitro. In addition, it has been reported that the soluble form can be retained on the cell surface through interaction with GM-CSFRβ and the carboxy-terminus from soluble GM-CSFRα; this complex binds GM-CSF with high affinity. GM-CSF and its receptor have been associated with the development of autoimmune diseases, such as inflammatory arthritis and juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia. In addition, a human monoclonal antibody targeting GM-CSFRα has been used in a phase I study in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.Product Details
- Human GM-CSFR, amino acids Met-(Leu20-Gly320) (Accession# NM_001161530), was expressed in 293E cells. TG-10His-GGQ tag on the carboxyl terminus.
- Molecular Mass
- The 317 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 36.7 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrate at approximately 65 kD by SDS-PAGE. The N-terminal amino acid is Met.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS, pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.01 ng per µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.) Please note, new lots of the 100 µg size will be lot-specific and may differ from previous lots that had a fixed concentration.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 = 1 - 5 µg/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of 0.2 - 1 x 103 units/mg, as determined by the dose dependent inhibition of TF-1 cell proliferation induced by GM-CSF in the presence of soluble GM-CSFRα.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are validated in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Product Citations
Granulocytes, macrophages, erythroid cells, megakaryocytic progenitors, myeloblasts, monoblasts, dendritic cells, and T cells.
- GM-CSFRα and β subunit mediate GM-CSF function: myeloid cell development and maturation and dendritic cell differentiation and survival in vitro. The GM-CSFR complex is negatively regulated by the laminin receptor (LR); laminin and fibronectin bind to LR and relieve the LR inhibition of the GM-CSFR complex.
- GM-CSFRα interacts with the GM-CSFRβ subunit.
- Biology Area
- Immunology, Innate Immunity, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Cytokine/Chemokine Receptors, Soluble Receptors
- Antigen References
1. Raines MA, et al. 1991. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88:8203.
2. Stomski FC, et al. 1996. Mol. Cell Biol. 16:3035.
3. Murray EW, et al. 1998. Biochemistry 37:14113.
4. Chen J, et al. 2003. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100:14000.
5. Hansen G, et al. 2008. Cell 134:496.
6. Min L, et al. 2010. J. Immunol. 184:4625.
7. Burmester GR, et al. 2011. Ann. Rheum. Dis. 70:1542.
- Gene ID
- 1438 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about GM-CSFRalpha on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.