- Other Names
- Fibroblast growth factor 8 (FGF8), Androgen-induced growth factor (AIGF), Heparin-binding growth factor 8 (HBGF-8)
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
|710504||25 µg||215 CHF|
FGF-8 belongs to the fibroblast growth factor (FGF) family and plays an important role in cell growth, embryogenesis, and tumorigenesis. Four isoforms (a, b, e, and f) of human FGF-8 generated by alternative splicing of the mRNA have been described. The isoforms may have different functions during embryogenesis. During prenatal stages, FGF-8 is required for the normal development of various organs, including limbs and central nervous system. FGF-8 was first cloned from SC-3 mouse mammary carcinoma cells and was found to be induced in response to androgenic stimuli. FGF-8 is found to have a transforming capacity and is detected in human prostate and breast carcinoma specimens and cell lines. The isoform FGF-8b has the highest affinity to FGF receptors and the strongest transforming capacity.Product Details
- Human FGF-8 isoform b, amino acids (Gln23 - Arg215) (Accession# NP_006110.1) with N-terminal Met, was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 194 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 22.5 kD. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Met.
- >97%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE gel and HLPC analysis.
- Lyophilized, carrier-free.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 ng per µg of protein.
- This product is bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute in water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. Do not vortex. It is recommended to further dilute in a buffer, such as 5% Trehalose, and store working aliquots at -20°C to -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 = 2.0 - 4.0 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of 2.5 - 5.0 x 105 units/mg,as measured by its ability to stimulate proliferation of BALB/c 3T3 cells in a dose dependent manner.
- Application Notes
This product is reactive with human and mouse.
- Growth factor
Secreted protein; widely expressed during embryonic stages; low expression levels in adult hematopoietic cells and gonads.
- FGF-8 is involved in the regulation of cell proliferation and cell differentiation during embryonic development.
- Embryonic progenitor cells.
- FGFR1, FGFR2, FGFR3 and FGFR4.
- Human FGF-4 is able to induce proliferation of Balb/c 3T3 cells.
- Cell Type
- Embryonic Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Growth Factors, Cytokines/Chemokines
- Antigen References
1. Falardeau J, et al. 2008. J. Clin. Invest. 118:2822.
2. Turner N, et al. 2010. Nat. Rev. Cancer. 10:116.
3. Tanaka S, et al. 2001. Dig. Dis. Sci. 46:1016.
4. Payson RA, et al. 1996. Oncogene. 13:47.
5. Gemel J, et al. 1996. Genomics. 35:253.
6. Han MJ, et al. 2001. Dev Dyn. 220:40.
- Gene ID
- 2253 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about FGF-8 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.