- Other Names
- AXL Receptor Tyrosine Kinase, Tyrosine-Protein Kinase Receptor UFO, AXL Oncogene, AXL Transforming Sequence/Gene, Tyro7, ARK
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
AXL is a receptor tyrosine kinase and is a member of the TAM family that includes Tyro3, AXL, and Mer. The members of this family are type I receptors characterized by two immunoglobulin (Ig)-like and fibronectin III (FNIII) domains in the extracellular domain, a transmembrane domain, and a kinase intracellular domain . The TAM receptors have common ligands GAS-6 and protein S. GAS-6 binds to the three receptors meanwhile the protein S binds Tyro3 and Mer. GAS-6 shows higher affinity for AXL and is a vitamin K-dependent protein. GAS-6 contains four domains, the GLA domain, a loop region, four EGF-like repeats, and two LG (laminin G-like) domains in the C-terminus. The LG domains of GAS-6 interact with the two Ig-like domains of AXL. AXL is activated by different mechanisms: Gas-6-dependent dimerization, ligand-independent dimerization, and heteromeric dimerization with different receptors no members of the TAM family, such as IFNAR, EGFR, PDGFR, and FLT3. Soluble forms of AXL are present in human and murine plasma. They are derived by proteolytic cleavage and those bind to GAS-6, thus the soluble forms of AXL act as inhibitors of AXL cell activation. AXL is overexpressed in many cancers such as lung, breast, colon, gastric, ovarian, prostate, thyroid, myeloid leukemia, and chronic lymphocytic leukemia to mention some, and its expression has been associated with poor prognosis.Product Details
- Human AXL, amino acid Glu33-Pro441 (Accession # NP_068713.2), with a linker (SR) and a C-terminal human IgG1-Fc and a 6His tag, was expressed in 293E cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 654 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 71.9 kD. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced protein migrates at approximately 110 - 120 kD and 200 - 250 kD by SDS-PAGE, respectively. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Glu.
- > 95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution in PBS
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Recombinant human AXL-Fc chimera binds to immobilized recombinant human GAS-6 in a dose-dependent manner. The ED50 for this effect is 2 – 10 ng/mL.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are validated in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
- Disulfide-linked homodimer
AXL is expressed ubiquitously, high levels in platelets, monocytes/macrophages, endothelial cells, mesenchymal, epithelial, and hematopoietic cell lines.
- Cellular growth, survival, and differentiation. Tumor cell metastasis, promote therapeutic resistance, and foster disease progression.
- Recombinant human AXL-Fc chimera binds to immobilized mouse GAS-6 in a dose-dependent manner. The ED50 for this effect is 2 – 10 ng/mL.
- Cell Type
- Dendritic cells, Endothelial cells, Epithelial cells, Macrophages, Mesenchymal cells, Monocytes, NK cells, Platelets
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Immuno-Oncology, Immunology, Innate Immunity
- Molecular Family
- Fc Receptors, Soluble Receptors
- Antigen References
1. O'Bryan JP, et al., 1991. Mol. Cell. Biol. 11:5016.
2. Angelillo-Scherrer A, et al., 2001. Nat. Med. 7:215.
3. Budagian V, et al., 2005. Mol. Cell. Biol. 25:9324.
4. Schmidt T, et al., 2012. Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 69:1391.
5. Wu X, et al., 2014. Oncotarget. 5:9546.
6. Axelrod H, Pienta KJ, 2014. Oncotarget. 5:8818
- Gene ID
- 558 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about AXL on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.