- SMI 99 (See other available formats)
- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- MBP, Golli-MBP, myelin A1 protein, myelin membrane encephalitogenic protein
- Mouse IgG2b, κ
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
|808407||25 µg||135,00 CHF|
|808408||100 µg||275,00 CHF|
Myelin basic protein (MBP) is a protein involved in the myelination of nerves in the CNS. MBP functions to maintain the correct structure of myelin, through its interaction with the lipids in the myelin membrane. The myelin sheath is made up of MBP and lipids, and acts as an insulator to increase the velocity of axonal impulse conduction. MBP plays a central role in the demyelinating disease multiple sclerosis (MS). A hallmark of the disease is the loss of the myelin sheath surrounding nerves, thought to be induced by antibodies against MBP.Product Details
- Human, Mouse, Rat
- Antibody Type
- Host Species
- Phosphate-buffered solution, pH 7.2, containing 0.09% sodium azide.
- The antibody was purified by affinity chromatography and conjugated with Alexa Fluor® 647 under optimal conditions.
- 0.5 mg/ml
- Storage & Handling
- The antibody solution should be stored undiluted between 2°C and 8°C, and protected from prolonged exposure to light. Do not freeze.
IHC-P - Quality tested
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this antibody is quality control tested by formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded immunohistochemical staining. For immunohistochemistry, a concentration range of 2 - 10 µg/ml is suggested. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
* Alexa Fluor® 647 has a maximum emission of 668 nm when it is excited at 633 nm / 635 nm.
Alexa Fluor® and Pacific Blue™ are trademarks of Life Technologies Corporation.
View full statement regarding label licenses
- Application Notes
This antibody reacts with the sequence Ala-Ser-Asp-Tyr-Lys-Ser in position 131-136 of the classic human myelin basic protein. The antibody detects myelin basic protein from most mammalian species. This antibody detects developing and adult myelin, developing oligodedrocytes and distinguishes oligodendrocytes from astrocytes, microglia, neurons, and other cells in brain sections. The combination of this antibody with clone SMI-91 and/or SMI-94 is useful for immunocytochemical studies on the progression of normal and pathologic myelination.
- Additional Product Notes
Myelin basic protein exists in multiple isoforms. By WB, clone SMI 99 detects mainly the 21 kD and 28 kD isoforms in the murine brain tissue, and the 21 kD isoform in the human brain tissue.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Fyffe-Maricich SL, et al. 2011. J. Neurosci. 31(3):843-50. (IHC, WB) PubMed
- Mendz GL, et al. 1985. Biochem. 228(1):61-8.
- Kerlero De Rosbo N, et al. 1984. Neurochem. Res. 9(10):1359-69.
- Carnegie PR, et al. 1983. J. Neuroimmunol. 5(2):125-34.
- Dowse CA, et al. 1983. J. Neuroimmunol. 5(2):135-44.
- Del Valle L,et al. Cancer Biol Ther. 9:286. (IHC) PubMed
- Kiryu-Seo S, et al. 2010. J. Neurosci. 30(19):6658-66. (ICC) PubMed
- Samanta J, et al. 2010. Stroke. 41(2):357-62. (IHC) PubMed
- Werner HB, et al. 2007. J. Neurosci. 27(29):7717-30. (WB, ICC) PubMed
AB_2814551 (BioLegend Cat. No. 808407)
AB_2814552 (BioLegend Cat. No. 808408)
- Cell Type
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Cell Structure, Neurodegeneration, Neuroinflammation, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Cell Markers
- Molecular Family
- Adhesion Molecules
- Gene ID
- 4155 View all products for this Gene ID 17196 View all products for this Gene ID 24547 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Myelin Basic Protein on UniProt.org
Compare Data Across All Formats
This data display is provided for general comparisons between formats.
Your actual data may vary due to variations in samples, target cells, instruments and their settings, staining conditions, and other factors.
If you need assistance with selecting the best format contact our expert technical support team.