- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Intercellular adhesion molecule 2, ICAM2, CD102, Ly-60
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
ICAM-2 is a type I transmembrane glycoprotein containing two extracellular Ig superfamily domains, a hydrophobic transmembrane region, and a short cytoplasmic domain, constitutively expressed on various cell types including T and B lymphocytes, macrophages, NK cells, monocytes, dendritic cells, neutrophils, endothelial cells, platelets, and CD34+ hematopoietic progenitor cells. Primarily localized to apical surface near intercellular junctions, ICAM-2 mediates cell binding to integrins like LFA-1 (αLβ2, CD11a/Cd18) and MAC-1 (αMβ2, CD11b/CD18) with strong implications in angiogenesis, inflammation, and cell survival. Specifically, it plays an essential role in lymphocyte adhesion, recruitment, trafficking, recirculation, and extravasation. ICAM-2 associates with ERM (ezrin/radixin/moesin) proteins to activate PI3K/Akt pathway and subsequently inhibit apoptosis in leukocytes and fibroblasts, while promoting capillary tube formation and junction maturation in endothelial cells via triggering of small GTPase Rac1 activation. ICAM-2 is the only member of all ICAMs that maps to chromosome 17q23-25, a segment known for genomic instability and high aberration in cancers. ICAM-2 is refractory to pro-inflammatory cytokines such as IL-1, TNF-α, and IFN-γ, the very proteins that strongly upregulate ICAM-1 expression on endothelial cells both in vitro and in vivo.Product Details
- Mouse ICAM-2, amino acids Glu22-Gln222 (Accession # BC039128) with a C-terminal human IgG1 Fc tag was expressed in CHO cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 444 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 49.6 kD. The DTT-reduced protein migrates at approximately 70 kD and and non-reduced protein migrates at approximately 140 kD by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Glu.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS pH 7.2.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50= 0.5 - 2.0 μg/mL as measured by the ability of immobilized protein to support the adhesion of retinoic acid (2 µlM, 72 hours) activated HL-60 cells. The Deep Blue Cell Viability™ Kit (Cat. No. 424702) was used to measure the number of adherent cells.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Antigen presenting cells, endothelial cells
- ICAM-2 mediates adhesive interactions important for antigen-specific immune response, NK-cell mediated clearance, lymphocyte recirculation, and other cellular interactions important for immune response and surveillance.
- LFA-1, MAC-1
- Measured by the ability of immobilized protein to support the adhesion of retinoic acid activated HL-60 cells.
- Cell Targets
- Leukocytes, Fibroblasts, endothelial cells
- Biology Area
- Molecular Family
- Adhesion Molecules, CD Molecules
- Antigen References
- Issekutz AC, et al. 1999. J. Leuko. Biol. 65:117-26.
- Reiss Y, et al. 1998. Eur. J. Immunol. 28:3086-99.
- Perez OD, et al. 2002. Immunity. 16:51-65.
- Lyck R, Enzmann G. 2015. Curr. Opin. Hematol. 22:53-9.
- Seth R, et al. 1991. FEBS Lett. 282:193-6.
- Schwartz MA, Ginsberg MH. 2002. Nat. Cell Biol. 4:E65-8.
- Luo BH, et al. 2007. Annu Rev Immunol. 25:619-47.
- Kaplanski G, et al. 2003. Trends Immunol. 24:25-9.
- Gene ID
- 15896 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about ICAM-2 on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)