- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Platelet-Derived Growth Factor-AB
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
Platelet-derived growth factors (PDGFs) are homo- or heterodimers of four polypeptides, known as A, B, C and D chains. PDGFs are primarily synthesized, stored in α-granules, and released by platelets upon activation. Five PDGF isoforms (AA, BB, AB, CC and DD) have been identified. PDGF-A and PDGF-B undergo intracellular activation during transport in the exocytic pathway and PDGF-C and PDGF-D are activated by extracellular proteases. PDGF-AA, AB, and BB dimers readily activate PDGF receptors (PDGFRs). PDGF-AA binds to PDGFRαα, PDGF-AB binds to PDGFRαα and PDGFRαβ, while PDGF-BB binds to the three dimeric receptors PDGFRαα, PDGFRαβ, and PDGFRββ. PDGFs are potent mitogens for connective tissue cells, including dermal fibroblasts, glial cells, arterial smooth muscle cells and some epithelial and endothelial cells. PDGFs act primarily in a paracrine manner and may be engaged in autocrine loops in tumors. In addition to its activity as a mitogen, PDGF is a chemotactic for fibroblasts, smooth muscle cells, neutrophils and mononuclear cells. PDGF-AA and -AB promote cell proliferation, cell survival, cytoskeletal rearrangement, cell migration and extracellular matrix production. They are important for the development of oligodendrocytes, testicular Leydig cells, alveolar smooth muscle cells, hair follicles, and intestinal villi. Abnormalities of PDGFR/PDGF are thought to contribute to a number of human diseases, and especially malignancy. The combinantion of PDGF-AB and a nucleoside analog, 5-Azacytidine, induces primary somatic cells into tissue-regenerative multipotent stem cells.Product Details
- Human PDGF-AB, amino acids Ser87-Thr211 (A chain, Accession# P04085.1) and Ser82-Thr190 (B chain, Accession# P01127.1), with a N-terminal Met, was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 126 (α chain) and 110 (β chain) amino acid recombinant proteins have predicted molecular masses of approximately 14.4 kD and 12.4 kD respectively. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Met for both the α and β chains.
- > 95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in 4 mM HCl.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 EU per µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for one month, at -20°C for six months, or at -70°C for one year. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Stock solutions should be prepared at no less than 50 - 100 µg/mL in sterile buffer (PBS, HPBS, DPBS, and EBSS) containing carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA and stored in working aliquots at -20°C to -70°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 = 1 - 5 ng/mL as measured by the ability of protein to induce proliferation of NIH/3T3 mouse embryonic fibroblasts. Deep Blue Cell Viability Kit™ (Cat. No. 424702) was used to quantitate cell proliferation.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
- Disulfide-linked heterodimer
Platelets, monocytes, macrophages, and mast cells.
- Growth factor that plays an essential role in the regulation of embryonic development, cell proliferation, migration, survival and chemotaxis. Potent mitogen for cells of mesenchymal origin.
- Platelets, fibroblasts, endothelial cells, epithelial cells, muscle cells, neurons, astrocytes, oligodendrocytes, and neutrophils.
- PDGFRα homodimer and heterodimer formed by PDGFRα and PDGFRβ.
- Human PDGF-AB induces the proliferation of NIH/3T3 cells.
- Cell Type
- Embryonic Stem Cells, Endothelial cells, Epithelial cells, Fibroblasts, Macrophages, Mesenchymal cells, Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Platelets
- Biology Area
- Angiogenesis, Cancer Biomarkers, Cardiovascular Biology, Cell Proliferation and Viability, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Growth Factors
- Antigen References
- Carlin SM, et al. 2003. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 284:L1020-6.
- Ustach CV, et al. 2005. Mol Cell Biol. 25:6279-88.
- Jones AV & Cross NCP. 2004. Cell Mol Life Sci. 61:2912-23.
- Andrae J, et al. 2008. Genes Dev. 22:1276-312.
- Heldin CH & Westermark B. 1999. Physiol Rev. 79:1283-316.
- Fredriksson L, et al. 2004. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 15:197-204.
- Hu JG, et al. 2012. J Mol Neurosci. 46:644-53.
- Schneider L, et al. 2010. Cell Physiol Biochem. 25:279-92.
- Karlsson C & Paulsson Y. 1994. J Cell Physiol. 158:256-62.
- Shure D, et al. 1992. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 186:151-4.
- Fretto LJ, et al. 1993. J Biol Chem. 268:3625-31.
- Abboud HE, et al. 1992. Kidney Int. 41:581-3.
- Chandrakanthan V, et al. 2016. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 133:E2306.
- Gene ID
- 5154 View all products for this Gene ID 5159 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about PDGF-AB on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)