- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Interleukin 15 (IL-15), MGC9721
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
IL-15 was discovered in the supernatant from a simian kidney epithelial cell line CV-1/EBNA, as a soluble factor capable of supporting proliferation of the IL-2-dependent cell line, CTLL-2. IL-15 is a regulatory cytokine, and it is produced by dendritic cells, epithelial cells, human stromal cell line (IMTLH), fibroblasts, and monocytes. IL-15 plays an important role in immune response and shares many functions with IL-2, for example, stimulating the proliferation of activated T cells, NK cells and B cells, and inducing immunoglobulin synthesis by B cells stimulated by anti-IgM or CD40 ligand. In addition, IL-15 promotes the development of dendritic cells, activates human neutrophils and induces the production of proinflammatory cytokines from macrophages. IL-15 acts as a bridge between innate and adaptive immunity because of its diverse roles in the immune system. IL-15 binds to heterotrimeric receptors composed of IL-15Rα, IL-15Rβ, and IL-15Rγc. IL-15 shares with IL-2 the receptor chains β and γc. IL-15 is normally not secreted in soluble form but is held on the cell surface bound to a unique receptor, IL-15Rα, especially on dendritic cells. Cell-bound IL-15 then is presented in trans to T cells and NK cells and is recognized by the γc receptor on these cells; such recognition maintains cell survival and intermittent proliferation.Product Details
- Human IL-15, amino acids Asn49-Ser162 (Accession# NM_000585), was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 115 amino acid N-terminal methionylated recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of 12.9 kD. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Met.
- >98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE and HPLC analysis.
- Lyophilized, carrier-free.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 ng per µg of protein.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute in water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. Do not vortex. It is recommended to further dilute in a buffer, such as 5% Trehalose, and store working aliquots at -20°C to -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 is ≤ 0.5 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of ≥ 2.0 x 106 units/mg as determined by the dose-dependent stimulation of the proliferation of mouse CTLL-2 cells.
- Application Notes
This product is reactive with human and mouse.
- Product Citations
- Adherent peripheral blood mononuclear cells, fibroblasts and epithelial cells.
- IL-15 stimulates the proliferation of activated T cells, NK cells and B cells, and inducing immunoglobulin synthesis by B cells stimulated by anti-IgM or CD40 ligand. In addition, IL-15 promotes the development of dendritic cells, activates human neutrophils and induces the production of proinflammatory cytokines from macrophages.
- T cells, NK cells.
- IL-15Rα, IL-15Rβ, and IL-15γc.
- Stimulatory activities on the proliferation, survival and activation of T cells and NK cells, and the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis via activating T cells; it also induces IL-17 production.
- Cell Type
- Hematopoietic stem and progenitors
- Biology Area
- Immunology, Innate Immunity, Stem Cells, Cell Biology
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
1. Grabstein K, et al. 1994. Science 264:965.
2. Ma A, et al. 2006. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 24:657.
3. Meresse B, et al. 2004. Immunity 21:357.
4. Armitage RJ, et al. 1995. J. Immunol. 154:483.
5. Pulendran B, et al. 2004. Eur. J. Immunol. 34:66.
6. Bouchard A, et al. 2004. J. Leukoc. Biol. 76:162.
7. Ratthe C, et al. 2004. J. Leukoc. Biol. 75:893.
8.Feng T, et al. 2008. Cell Immunol. 5:189.
9. Rubinstein MP et al. 2006. P. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103:9166.
- Gene ID
- 3600 View all products for this Gene ID
- Specificity (DOES NOT SHOW ON TDS):
- Specificity Alt (DOES NOT SHOW ON TDS):
- View information about IL-15 on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)